Wen-Chin Huang, PhD
Wen-Chin Huang is an Assistant Professor-Research Scientist I in the Uro-Oncology Research Program at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Dr. Huang's research focuses on biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, and cancer signaling transduction. His work has shown that a small molecule, β2-microglobulin (β2M), plays multiple biological roles in prostate cancer growth, survival, progression and metastasis. He also found that targeting β2M using a small interfering RNA and an immuno-antibody against human β2M greatly induced the programmed cell death of prostate cancer cells. His research is funded by the Department of Defense. He was the recipient of a young investigator award from the Georgia Cancer Coalition.
Dr. Huang earned his Ph. D. degree from National Taiwan University, Taiwan. He then completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Urology at the Emory University School of Medicine.
Selected Recent Publications
1) Huang WC., Zhau HE., and Chung LW., "Androgen receptor survival signaling is blocked by anti-β2-microglobulin monoclonal antibody via a mitogen-activated protein kinase/lipogenic pathway in human prostate cancer cells" JBC, In Press, 2010
2) Huang WC., Havel JJ., Zhau HE., Qian WP., Lue H., Chu C., Nomura T., and Chung LW., "β2-Microglobulin signaling blockade inhibited androgen receptor axis and caused apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells", Clin Cancer Res, 14: 5341-7 (2008)
3) Zhau HE., Odero-Marah V., Lue H., Nomura T., Wang R., Chu G., Liu ZR., Zhou BP., Huang WC., and Chung WK., "Epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) in human prostate cancer: lessons learned from ARCaP model", Clin Exp Metastasis, 25: 601-10 (2008)
4) Nomura T., Huang WC., Seo S., Zhau HE., Mimata H., and Chung LW., "Targeting β2-microglobulin mediated signaling as a novel therapeutic approach for human renal cell carcinoma", J Urol, 178: 292-300 (2007)
5) Wu D., Zhau HE., Huang WC., Iqbal S. Habib F., Sartor O., Cvitananovic L., Marshall F., Xu W., and Chung LW., "cAMP-response element-binding protein regulates vascular endothelial growth factor expression: implication in human prostate cancer bone metastasis", Oncogene, 26: 5070-7 (2007)