Bonnie Balzer, MD, PhD
Director, Surgical Pathology
Director, Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology, Head & Neck Pathology, Dermatopathology
Co-Director, Surgical Pathology Fellowship
Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology
Head & Neck Pathology
Education and Training
- University of Virginia College of Arts and Sciences, Charlottesville, VA; PhD
- Stanford University, School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA; MD
- Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Stanford University, School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA
- Fellowship in Surgical Pathology, Stanford University, School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA
- Fellowship in Soft Tissue Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Fellowship in Dermatopathology, Weill Medical Center Cornell University/Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Dermatopathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Bone & Soft Tissue pathology
- Gynecologic pathology
- Genitourinary pathology
- General oncologic pathology
Awards and Activities
- Book chapter author
- Yu R, Nissen NN, Balzer B, Fan X. el syndrome of four-limb proximal fragility fractures associated with HIV infection, cholestatic liver failure, and histiocytic infiltration of bone marrow. Hormones (Athens). 2012;11(2):203-6.
- O'Rourke EA, Balzer B, Barry CI, Frishberg DP. Nevic Mitoses: A Review of 1041 Cases. Am J Dermatopathol. 2012 Jun 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Marchevsky AM, Gupta R, Balzer B. Diagnosis of metastatic neoplasms: a clinicopathologic and morphologic approach. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010; 134(2):194-206.
- Rao P, Balzer BL, Lemos BD, Liegeois NJ, McNiff JM, Nghiem P, Prieto VG, Smith MT, Smoller BR, Wick MR, Frishberg DP. Protocol of the Examination of Specimens from Patients with Malignant Melanoma of the Skin. College of American Pathologists Checklist for Malignant Melanoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2010;134:341-4.
- Balzer BL, Weiss SW. Do biomaterials cause implant-associated mesenchymal tumors of the breast? Analysis of 8 new cases and review of the literature. Human Pathol 2009;40(11):1564-70.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Bonnie Balzer, MD, PhD.