Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Cynthia C. Nast, MD
Director, Renal Pathology
Medical Director, Electron Microscopy
Professor of Pathology
Education and Training
- New York Medical College,Valhalla, NY; MD
- Internship in Pathology, University of California Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA
- Internship in Obstetrics and Gynecology, The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, NY, NY
- Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
- Fellowship in Renal Pathology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
Medical Board Certifications
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Native and transplant renal pathology
- Renal disease pathogenesis correlated with morphology (NEPTUNE study)
- Bacterial antibiotic resistance
- Effect of nutrition on renal development
- Biomarkers in renal disease
Awards and Activities
- Past-president, Renal Pathology Society
- Recipient, Jacob Churg Award, Renal Pathology Society
- Named Transplant Unit, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Gadegbeku CA, Gipson DS, Holzman LB, Ojo AO, Song PX, Barisoni L, Sampson MG, Kopp JB, Lemley KV, Nelson PJ, Lienczewski CC, Adler SG, Appel GB, Cattran DC, Choi MJ, Contreras G, Dell KM, Fervenza FC, Gibson KL, Greenbaum LA, Hernandez JD, Hewitt SM, Hingorani SR, Hladunewich M, Hogan MC, Hogan SL, Kaskel FJ, Lieske JC, Meyers KE, Nachman PH, Nast CC, Neu AM, Reich HN, Sedor JR, Sethna CB, Trachtman H, Tuttle KR, Zhdanova O, Zilleruello GE, Kretzler M. Design of the Nephrotic Syndrome Study Network (NEPTUNE) to evaluate primary glomerular nephropathy by a multidisciplinary approach. Kidney Inter. 2013;83:749-56.
- D'Agati VD, Alster JM, Jennette JC, Thomas DB, Pullman J, Savino DA, Cohen AH, Gipson DS, Gassman J, Moxey-Mims MM, Friedman AL, Kaskel FJ, Trachtman H, Alpers CE, Fogo AB, Nast CC. Renal biopsies from the FSGS-CT trial validate the importance of histologic variants. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:399-406.
- Hady WA, Bayer AS, Seidl K, Nast CC, Kiedrowski MR, Horswill AR, Yeaman MR, Xiong YQ. Reduced vancomycin susceptibility in an in vitro catheter-related biofilm model correlates with poor therapeutic outcomes in experimental endocarditis methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrobial Agents Chemother. 2013;57:1447-54.
- Satirapoj B, Wang Y, Chamberlin MP, LaPage J, Phillips L, Paik M, Lee D, Nast CC, Adler SG. Periostin: Novel tissue and urinary biomarker of progressive renal injury indicative of distal nephron tubular epithelial mesenchymal transition. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012;27:2702-2711.
- Mishra N, Rubio A, Nast CC, Bayer AS. Differential adaptations of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to serial in vitro passage in daptomycin: Evolution of daptomycin resistance and role of membrane carotenoid content and fluidity. Int J Microbiol. 2012;2012:683450.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Cynthia C. Nast, MD.