Cynthia Nast, MD
Professor of Pathology
Co-Director, Renal Pathology
Associate Medical Director,
Education and Training
- New York Medical College,Valhalla, NY; MD
- Internship in Pathology, University of California Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA
- Internship in Obstetrics and Gynecology, The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, NY, NY
- Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
- Fellowship in Renal Pathology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA
Medical Board Certifications
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Native and transplant renal pathology
- Renal disease pathogenesis correlated with morphology (NEPTUNE study)
- Bacterial antibiotic resistance
- Effect of nutrition on renal development
- Biomarkers in renal disease
Awards and Activities
- Past-president, Renal Pathology Society
- Recipient, Jacob Churg Award, Renal Pathology Society
- Named Transplant Unit, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Satirapoj B, Bruhn KW, Nast CC, Wang Y, Dai T, Lapage J, Wu X, Natarajan R, Adler SG. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein antigen transport induces autoimmunity in the renal tubulointerstitium. Am J Nephrol. 2012;35:520-30.
- Nast CC. Infection-related glomerulonephritis: changing demographics and outcomes. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2012;19:68-75.
- Satirapoj B, Wang Y, Chamberlin MP, Dai T, Lapage J, Phillips L, Nast CC, Adler SG. Periostin: novel tissue and urinary biomarker of progressive renal injury induces a coordinated mesenchymal phenotype in tubular cells. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012;27:2702-11.
- Magee TR, Tafti S, Desai M, Liu Q, Ross MG, Nast CC: Maternal under-nourished fetal kidneys exhibit differential regulation of nephrogenic genes including down-regulation of the Notch signaling pathway. Reprod Sci 2011;18:563-76.
- Tafti SA, Nast CC, Desai M, Amaya KE, Ross MG, Magee TR: Maternal under-nutrition up-regulates apoptosis in offspring nephrogenesis. J Development Origins Health Dis 2011;2:226-235.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Cynthia Nast, MD.