D. Joe Chaffin, MD
Senior Consultant in Transfusion Medicine
Education and Training
- Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA; MD
- Transitional internship, Letterman Army Medical Center, Presidio of San Francisco, CA
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
- Board Certified, Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine
Clinical and Research Interests
- Blood donor collection and management
- Transfusion reaction diagnosis and management
Awards and Activities
- Founder, Blood Bank Guy website
- 2012-13 Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Primary transfusion medicine lecturer, Osler Institute, Terre Haute, IN since 1996
- 2012 Larry Trow Memorial Education Award; South Central Association of Blood Banking
- Former Medical Director/VP Medical Affairs, Bonfils Blood Center, Denver, CO
- "Broken Hearts and TRALI (Editorial)," CC Silliman and DJ Chaffin, Critical Care Medicine, 2012. Critical Care Med. 2012 Oct;40(10):2909-10.
- Measures to Prevent Transfusion-related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI),” HW Reesink…DJ Chaffin, et al. Vox Sanguinis, 2012, Vox Sanguinis. 2012 Oct;103(3):231-59
- Gribble DM, Chaffin DJ, Bryant BJ. Cost-effectiveness of FDA variance for blood collection from individuals with hereditary hemochromatosis at a 398-bed hospital-based donor center. Immunohematology. 2009;25:170-3.
- "Blood Groups," "Blood Component Therapy," and "Blood Donation," D. Joe Chaffin, MD; Chapters in Clinical Laboratory Pearls, SL Jones, ed, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2001
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by D. Joe Chaffin, MD.