Ellen Klapper, MD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Director, Transfusion Medicine
Director, Transfusion Medicine Fellowship
Point of Care Testing
Email Address: Ellen.Klapper@cshs.org
Education and Training
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine; MD
- Internship in Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Fellowship in Transfusion Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Platelet transfusion practice
- Application of molecular genotyping to improve transfusion safety
- Use of photopheresis in the management of cardiac transplant rejection
- Plasmapheresis for alloimmunized or ABO incompatible renal transplant recipients
Awards and Activities
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Vice President, California Society of Pathologists
- Recipient, notable publication recognition, Transfusion (journal)
- Iqbal J, Pepkowitz SH, Klapper E. Platelet-rich plasma for the replenishment of bone. Curr Osteoporos Rep 2011;9:258-63.
- Klapper E, Zhang Y, Figueroa P, Ness P, Stubbs J, Abumuhor I, Bailey J, Epperson L,, Tauscher C, Enriquez E, Hashmi G, Seul M. Toward extended phenotype compatibility: A new operational paradigm for the Transfusion Service. Transfusion 2010; 50:536-46.
- Sivakumaran P, Vo A, Villicana R, Peng A, Jordan S, Pepkowitz S, Klapper E. Therapeutic Plasma Exchange for Desensitization Prior to Transplantation in ABO-incompatible Renal Allografts. J Clin Apheresis 2009; 24(4):155-60.
- Heddle NM, Cook RJ, Tinmouth A, Kouroukis CT, Hervig Tor, Klapper E, Brandwein JM, Zbigniew M. Szczepiorkowski ZM,AuBuchon JP, Barty R, Lee K-A. A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Standard and Low-Dose Strategies for Transfusion of Platelets (SToP) to Patients With Thrombocytopenia. Blood 2009;113:1564-73.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Ellen Klapper, MD.