Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Karen A. Scharre, MD
Director, Breast Pathology
Education and Training
- University of California, Davis; MD
- Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
- Fellowship in Surgical Pathology, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Medical Board Certifications
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
- Board Certified, Cytopathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Breast pathology
- Gynecologic pathology
- Thyroid pathology
Awards and Activities
- Member, Surgical Pathology Quality Improvement Program
- Member, Saul and Joyce Brandman Breast Center, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Member of the Thyroid Cancer Center of Excellence, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Walts AE, Bose S, Fan X, Frishberg D, Scharre K, de Peralta-Venturina M, Zhai J, Marchevsky AM. A simplified Bethesda System for reporting thyroid cytopathology using only four categories improves intra- and inter-observer diagnostic agreement and provides non-overlapping estimates of malignancy risks. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012;40 Suppl 1:E62-8.
- Marchevsky AM, Walts AE, Bose S, Gupta R, Fan X, Frishberg D, Scharre K, Zhai J. Evidence-based evaluation of the risks of malignancy predicted by thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsies. Diagn Cytopathol 2010;38:252-259.
- Chung A, Scharre K, Wilson M. Intraductal fibroadenomatosis: an unusual variant of fibroadenoma. Breast J. 2008 Mar-Apr;14(2):193-5.
- Marchevsky AM, Khurana R, Thomas P, Scharre K, Farias P, Bose S. The use of virtual microscopy for proficiency testing in gynecologic cytopathology: a feasibility study using ScanScope. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006;130:349-55.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Karen Scharre, MD.