Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Mahul Amin, MD
Chairman, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Professor of Pathology
Email Address: email@example.com
- Genitourinary Pathology
Education and Training
- Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bombay University, MBBS
- Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, House Officer, Registrar and Lecturer, Pathology; MD
- Resident and Chief Resident in Pathology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
- Fellowship in Surgical Pathology, University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Genitourinary malignancies, international consultant, and discovery and validation of biomarkers
- Molecular pathology and personalized medicine
- Quality assurance and patient safety
Awards and Activities
- Co-authored current WHO classification systems for urothelial tumors and renal neoplasms
- Expert panelist formulating AJCC staging (7th edition) for urologic cancer
- Involved with the first major descriptions of genitourinary pathology entities including bladder lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma, bladder micropapillary carcinoma, acquired cystic disease associated renal cell carcinoma, clear cell-papillary renal cell carcinoma, thyroid-like carcinoma of the kidney and tubulocystic carcinoma of the kidney.
- Authored pioneering studies introducing select immunohistochemical markers in routine surgical pathology practice (smoothelin for bladder muscularis propria; racemase for diagnosis of nephrogenic adenoma; CK20, p53 and CD44 for urothelial carcinoma in situ; CK7 for oncocytoma vs chromophobe renal cell carcinoma).
- Co-authored 7 books (includes two AFIP fascicles and prostate cancer Gleason grading monograph).
- Authored over 250 publications and 33 book chapters.
- Invited speaker, >230 urologic pathology grand rounds, lectures and workshops in 19 countries.
- Course faculty, American Urology Association (AUA), United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists and College of American Pathologists since 2003.
- Editor-in-Chief, Advances in Anatomic Pathology.
- Past Founding Member, American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC).
- Past Chairman, Cancer Committee, College of American Pathologists.
- Recipient, Arthur Purdy Stout Young Investigator Award, USCAP.
- Recipient, “Lansky Award” of the College of American Pathologists Foundation.
- Recipient, “Distinguished Service Award” of the College of American Pathologists.
- Amin MB, McKenney JK, Paner GP, Hansel DE, Grignon DJ, Montironi R, Lin O, Epstein JI, Soloway M, Reuter VE and Members of the Pathology of Bladder Cancer Work Group. Consensus Guidelines by the Pathology Of Bladder Cancer Work Group. European Urol. 2013;63:16-35.
- Hansel, DE, Amin MB, Comperat E, Cote RJ, Knüchel R, Montironi R, Reuter VE, Soloway MS, Umar SA, Van der Kwast TH. A contemporary update on pathology standards for bladder cancer: Transurethral resection (TUR) and radical cystectomy specimens. European Urol. 2013;63:321-32.
- Verhoven B, Yan Y, Ritter M, Khor LY, Hammond E, Jones C, Amin MB, Bahary JP, Zeitzer K, Pollack A. Ki-67 Is an Independent Predictor of Metastasis and Cause-Specific Mortality for Prostate Cancer Patients Treated on Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) 94-08. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013;86:317-23.
- Paner GP, Aron M, Hansel DE, Amin MB. Non-epithelial neoplasms of the prostate. Histopathology 2012;60:166-86.
- Nese N, Martignoni G, Fletcher CD, Gupta R, Pan C, Kim H, Ro JY, Hwang IS, Sato K, Bonetti F, Pea M, Amin M, Hes O, Svec A, Kida M, Vankalakunti M, Berel D, RogatkoA, Gown A, Amin MB. Pure Epithelioid PEComas (so called epithelioid angiomyolipoma) of the Kidney: A Clinico-pathologic study of 41 cases: Detailed Assessment of Morphology and Risk Stratification. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011;35:161-76.
- Amin MB, Paner GP, Kristiansen G. Rete Testis-Associated Nodular Steroid Cell Nests: Description of Putative Pluripotential Testicular Hilus Steroid Cells. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011; 35:505-11.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Mahul B. Amin, MD