Mahul Amin, MD
Chairman, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Professor of Pathology
Clinical Specialty: Genitourinary Pathology
Email Address: Mahul.Amin@cshs.org
Education and Training
- Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bombay University, MBBS
- Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College, House Officer, Registrar and Lecturer, Pathology; MD
- Resident and Chief Resident in Pathology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
- Fellowship in Surgical Pathology, University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Genitourinary malignancies, international consultant, and discovery and validation of biomarkers
- Molecular pathology and personalized medicine
- Quality assurance and patient safety
Awards and Activities
- Co-authored current WHO classification systems for urothelial tumors and renal neoplasms
- Expert panelist formulating AJCC staging (7th edition) for urologic cancer
- Involved with the first major descriptions of genitourinary pathology entities including bladder lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma, bladder micropapillary carcinoma, acquired cystic disease associated renal cell carcinoma, clear cell-papillary renal cell carcinoma, thyroid-like carcinoma of the kidney and tubulocystic carcinoma of the kidney.
- Authored pioneering studies introducing select immunohistochemical markers in routine surgical pathology practice (smoothelin for bladder muscularis propria; racemase for diagnosis of nephrogenic adenoma; CK20, p53 and CD44 for urothelial carcinoma in situ; CK7 for oncocytoma vs chromophobe renal cell carcinoma).
- Co-authored 7 books (includes two AFIP fascicles and prostate cancer Gleason grading monograph).
- Authored over 250 publications and 33 book chapters.
- Invited speaker, >230 urologic pathology grand rounds, lectures and workshops in 19 countries.
- Course faculty, American Urology Association (AUA), United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists and College of American Pathologists since 2003.
- Editor-in-Chief, Advances in Anatomic Pathology.
- Past Founding Member, American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC).
- Past Chairman, Cancer Committee, College of American Pathologists.
- Recipient, Arthur Purdy Stout Young Investigator Award, USCAP.
- Recipient, “Lansky Award” of the College of American Pathologists Foundation.
- Recipient, “Distinguished Service Award” of the College of American Pathologists.
- Paner GP, Aron M, Hansel DE, Amin MB. Non-epithelial neoplasms of the prostate. Histopathology 2012;60:166-86.
- Nese N, Martignoni G, Fletcher CD, Gupta R, Pan C, Kim H, Ro JY, Hwang IS, Sato K, Bonetti F, Pea M, Amin M, Hes O, Svec A, Kida M, Vankalakunti M, Berel D, RogatkoA, Gown A, Amin MB. Pure Epithelioid PEComas (so called epithelioid angiomyolipoma) of the Kidney: A Clinico-pathologic study of 41 cases: Detailed Assessment of Morphology and Risk Stratification. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011;35:161-76.
- Amin MB, Paner GP, Kristiansen G. Rete Testis-Associated Nodular Steroid Cell Nests: Description of Putative Pluripotential Testicular Hilus Steroid Cells. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011; 35:505-11.
- Amin MB. The 2009 Version of the Cancer Protocols of the College of American Pathologists: A Continuing Journey from “Guidelines for Pathologists” to “Standards for Multidisciplinary Comprehensive Cancer Care”. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134:326-30.
- GuptaR, Balzer B, Picken M, Osunkoya A, Shet T, Alsabeh R, Luthringer D, Paner GP, Amin MB. Diagnostic implications of transcription factor Pax 2 protein & transmemebrane enzyme complex carbonic anhydrase IX immunoreactivity in adult renal epithelial neoplasms. Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:241-7.
- Amin MB, Gupta R, Ondrej H, McKenney JK, Michal M, Young AN, Paner GP, Junker K, Epstein JI. Primary Thyroid-like Follicular Carcinoma of the Kidney: Report of 6 Cases of a Histologically Distinctive Adult Renal Epithelial Neoplasm. Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:393-400.
- Amin MB, Paner GP, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Young AN, Stricker H, Lyles R, Datta MW, Moch H. Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma: histomorphologic characteristics and evaluation of conventional pathologic parameters Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:1822-1834.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Mahul B. Amin, MD