Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Serhan Alkan, MD
Vice Chair, Director of Clinical Pathology
Director, Academic Clinical Pathology
Professor of Pathology
Director, Hematopathology Fellowship
Director, Personalized Medicine Diagnostics
Clinical Specialty: Hematopathology
Education and Training
- Ege Medical University, Izmir, Turkey; MD
- Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, George Washington University, Washington DC
- Fellowship in Hematopathology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
- Board Certified, Hematopathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Use of immunohistochemical and molecular markers in assessment of hematopoietic neoplasms
- Analysis of intracellular signaling molecules that regulate survival of neoplastic cells
Awards and Activities
- Described use of proteosome inhibitors as an effective therapy in treatment of multiple myeloma
- Demonstrated potential use of Histone deacetylase inhibitors in treatment of leukemias and multiple myeloma
- Peker D, Alkan S, Zhang L, Martinez A. HIV-associated plasmablastic multicentric Castleman disease with microlymphoma coinfected with HHV8 and EBV. J Hematopathol. 2013;6:109-114.
- Sojitra P, Gandhi P, Fitting P, Alkan S, Venkataraman G. Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia monocytes uniformly display a population of monocytes with CD11c under expression. Am J Clin Pathol. (In press).
- Alkan S, et al. Bruton Tyrosine Kinase Is Commonly Overexpressed in Mantle Cell Lymphoma and Its Attenuation by Ibrutinib Induces. Leukemia Research. (In press).
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Serhan Alkan, MD.