The program has been designed to provide a focused educational experience with attention to efficient usage of the residents' time. Faculty members participate fully in every activity; no conferences are conducted solely by residents. Major teaching conferences include the following:
- Surgical Basic Science. Weekly. Textbook provided.
- Surgical Principles. Weekly.
- Journal Club. Monthly.
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference. Weekly.
- Surgical Grand Rounds. Weekly.
- Surgical Skills Laboratory. Biweekly.
- Trauma Conference. Weekly.
- "This Week in Surgery." Weekly. Rotating program: Medical-Surgical GI, Hepatobiliary, Vascular, Cardiothoracic, Research, Tumor Board conferences
- Chief Rounds. Weekly.
- Surgical Pathology Conference. Biweekly.
- Pediatric Surgery Conference. Biweekly.
We have made significant changes in the conduct of our M&M Conference under the direction of Dr. Leo Gordon, to create an important educational experience.
All residents take the annual American Board of Surgery In-training examination. Mock oral examinations and the Advanced Trauma Life Support Course also are given each year.
In the past five years, our Chief Residents have competed successfully for prestigious fellowships in surgical oncology, cardiothoracic surgery, transplantation, surgical critical care, laparoendoscopic surgery, pediatric surgery, colorectal surgery and plastic surgery. A number are now engaged in full-time academic careers. Virtually all have at least part-time teaching responsibilities in their practices.