Case of the Month: November, 2012 Page 5
Answer: C. Renal cyst
Discussion Renal Von Hippel-Landau:
- Multiple renal cysts and increased risk for renal cell carcinoma.
- Clear cell RCC: 20-40%
- May be multicentric or bilateral.
- Numerous cysts may obscure cystic neoplasm or neoplasm within the wall of a cyst.
- Screening with renal US and CT/MRI.
- The patient went to surgery and the complex renal cyst was indeed a malignancy for which partial nephrectomy was performed. There was no evidence for metastatic disease.
- The epididymal cyst most likely represents a cystadenoma which is a characteristic lesion in VHL.
- The pancreatic cyst is a true simple cyst in the pancreas which is rare except in the setting of VHL.
- “Principles of Internal Medicine” Harrison’s 16th edition
- Smirniotopoulos, J Neuroimaging of phakomatoses: Sturge-Weber syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, von Hippel-Lindau syndrome Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, Volume 14, Issue 2, Pages 171-183.
- Yousem, D et al “Neuroradiology: The Requisites” 2nd Edition 2009
|< Previous Page||View our Case of the Month Archives|