Genetic counseling covers:
- The challenges of having or being at risk for a genetic disorder
- Medical information about a genetic risk or diagnosis
- The role of heredity in developing a disease, and
- How to deal with your genetic health risks.
Genetic counselors can also:
- Help you make choices based on your level of risk, goals and values
- Support your decisions
- Help you cope with feelings about genetic risk, including anxiety, fear and guilt
- Answer your questions about risk assessment and testing, the chance of discrimination by insurers or employers, possible reactions by family, friends and employers, the cost of testing, and prevention and management strategies.