Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Overview Ethics Noon Conference
Since 1997, the Center for Healthcare Ethics has proudly presented the Ethics Noon Conference, a monthly event open to all who work within, are affiliated with, or receive care at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. The primary aim of these Conferences is to raise the level of awareness and degree of understanding of fundamental as well as emerging issues and concerns in healthcare ethics. Covering a broad range of ethical considerations associated with healthcare practices, healthcare delivery, and the healthcare system, these Conferences always include time for audience participation and interaction.
Ethics Noon Conferences are held in the Harvey Morse Auditorium, typically on the third Wednesday of the month (please see below for schedule). A light lunch is available on the day of the Conference starting at 11:30 AM. The session begins promptly at 12:00 PM and ends at 1:00PM.
Past speakers include Mark Aulisio, Alexander Capron, Eric Cassel, Felicia Cohn, Elliott Doroff, Nancy Dubler, Ezekiel Emanuel, Jodi Halpern, Al Jonsen, John Lantos, Mary Faith Marshall, Sherwin Nuland, David Orentlicher, Lanie Friedman Ross, John Sadler, Lawrence Schneiderman, Audrey Shafer, Mark Siegler, Carol Taylor, Susan Tolle, Robert Troug, Harriet Washington, Paul Wolpe, Richard Zaner, and Lorie Zoloth (to name but a few).
Schedule for 2014
- January 15, 2014: Timothy E. Quill, M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine - "Palliative Care and Ethics: A Case-Based Approach"
- February 19, 2014: Laurie Zoloth, Ph.D, Northwestern University - "Subject to Loss: Jewish Medical Ethics and the Duty of Return"
- March 19, 2014: Cynda Rushton, Ph.D., R.N., Johns Hopkins University - "Transforming Moral Distress into Integrity & Resilience"
- April 23, 2014: Bruce L. Gewertz, MD, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - "Sustaining Fulfillment in Work and Life"
- May 21, 2014: D. Malcolm Shaner, MD, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center - "Up in the Air - Suspending Ethical Medical Practice"
- June 18, 2014: Shelley McKellar, Ph.D., University of Western Ontario - Topic: The history and ethics of the artificial heart implant
- September 17, 2014: TBD
- October 15, 2014: TBD
- November 19, 2014: TBD
- December 17, 2014: TBD
Schedule for 2013
- January 16, 2013: Jay Baruch, MD, Brown University - "First Drafts and Open Spaces: Why Healthcare Providers Should Think Like Creative Writers"
- February 20, 2013: Michael Bliss, PhD, University of Toronto - "No Ethics? Bioethics in the Age of William Osler"
- March 20, 2013: Rev. George Handzo, M.Div - "Medicine and Spiritual Care: A Shared Commitment to Listening on the Way to Healing"
- April 24, 2013: Rabbi Aaron E. Glatt, MD - "The Jewish Medical Ethics Perspective on End-of-Life Issues: Whose Life is it Anyway?"
- May 15, 2013: Mark D. Fox, MD, PhD, MPH, University of Oklahoma School of Community Medicine - "Back to the Future: Moral Dilemmas in Transplantation"
- June 19, 2013: David B. Morris, Ph.D., University of Virginia - "Black Swans, Zebras, and the Strangeness of the Everyday: Low-Probability Events in Biomedicine"
- September 18, 2013: Margaret P. Battin, Ph.D., University of Utah - "The Least Worst Death: Moral Experience at Life's Edge"
- October 16, 2013: Thomas H. Murray, Ph.D., The Hastings Center - "Olympian Dreams: Genetic Enhancement and the Ethics of Meaning"
- November 20, 2013: Sarah E. Shannon, Ph.D., R.N., University of Washington - "Is There an Ethical Mandate to Address Conflict within Health Care Teams?"
- December 18, 2013: Virginia L. Bartlett, Ph.D., Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - "Advance Directives, Exerting Control, and Other Myths about Endings"
Schedule for 2012
- January 18, 2012: Joseph J. Fins, MD, New York - Presbyterian Hospital - "From the Vegetative to Minimally Conscious State: Neuro-Ethics and the Severely Injured Brain"
- February 15, 2012: Tess Jones, PhD, University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus - "Another Kind of DNR (Do Not Record): Documentary Films, Patient Rights, and Social Responsibility"
- March 21, 2012: Perri Klass, MD, New York University - "Hearing Secrets and Telling Stories: Doctors as Readers and Writers"
- April Lecture - CANCELLED
- May 16, 2012: Armand H. Matheny Antommaria, MD, PhD, University of Utah School of Medicine - "Mandate or Moratorium?: Persisting Ethical Controversies in Donation After Circulatory Death"
- June 13, 2012: Alan M. Kraut, PhD, American University, Washington - "Ethical Roots of the Jewish Hospital: Past and Future"
- September 19, 2012: Katie L. Watson, JD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine - "Gallows Humor: medical Ethics, Medical Humanities and the Dark Side of Laughter"
- October 17, 2012: Michael C. Lill, MD, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - "Transplanting Jehovah's Witnesses: Ethical Challenges in Caring for Individuals, Serving Communities, Being Responsible to Society"
- November 14, 2012: Robert Cook-Deegan, MD, Duke University - "Genomes Beyond Hype: Where is Genomics Taking Us (and can we get there without screwing it up)?"
- December 19, 2012: Jeffrey Kahn, PhD, MPH, Johns Hopkins University - Title of Talk: TBA (healthcare policy in light of 2012 Presidential election)
Schedule for 2011
- January 19, 2011: Steven H. Miles, MD, University of Minnesota Medical School - "The Drug Industry, Clinicians and Responsibility: 2010 Update"
- February 23, 2011: Daniel P. Sulmasy, OFM, MD, Ph.D, University of Chicago - "Is Osler Still Right? Medicine as a Vocation Today"
- March 16, 2011: Henry T. Greely, JD, Stanford School of Medicine - "Clinical & Regulatory Challenges in Whole Genome Sequencing"
- April 13, 2011: Theresa S. Drought, Ph.D, RN, Kaiser Permanente - "Owning Your Place at the Table: Ethical Obligations, Role Responsibilities, and the Interprofessional Team"
- May 18, 2011: Denise M. Dudzinski, Ph.D, MTS, University of Washington School of Medicine - "Whole Decision: Autonomy & Paternalism in an Irrational World"
- June 15, 2011: Peter A. Ubel, MD, Duke University - "Whose Decision: Autonomy and Paternalism in an Irrational World"
- September 21, 2011: Jodi Halpern, MD, University of California, Berkeley - "Challenges of Clinical Empathy: Clinicians' Emotions and Healthcare Decision Making"
- October 19, 2011: Carole Browner, PhD, University of California, Los Angeles - "The Promise and Reality of Genetic Testing in Clinical Neurology: The Interplay of Hope and Expectation"
- November 9, 2011: Prof. Bartha Maria Knoppers, McGill University, Montreal - "The Return of Results to Participants: A Minefield?"
- December 21, 2011: Arthur R. Derse, MD, JD, Medical College of Wisconsin - "Ethical and Legal Issues in End-of-Life Care"
Schedule for 2010
- January 20, 2010 : Rafael Campo, M.D., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - "The Poetry of Healing"
- February 3, 2010: Lester D. Friedman, Ph.D., Hobart and William Smith Colleges - "Medicine on Film: Constructing Images of Healthcare Providers"
- March 10, 2010: D. Alan Shewmon, M.D., UCLA Medical Center - "Controversies Surrounding 'Brain Death'"
- April 7, 2010: Wilfred Graves, Jr., M.Div, Ph.D., West Los Angeles Church of God in Christ - "The African-American Experience of Illness"
- May 19, 2010: Harvey J. Makadon, M.D., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - "The Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Patient: A New Set of Ethical Challenges"
- June 16, 2010: Edmund G.Howe, M.D., J.D., Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda MD - "Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia, and Ethical Challenges when Caring for Those Who are Fading"
- September 15, 2010: Robert Truog, M.D., Harvard Medical School - "Medical Futility: When is Enough, Enough?"
- October 20, 2010: Mark J. Bliton, Ph.D., Vanderbilt University School of Medicine - "Divination & DNA: The Hazard, but Inevitability of 'Divination' in Our New Generation"
- November 17, 2010: Katherine Brown-Saltzman, R.N., M.A., University of California Los Angeles - "Ethics Consultation: Harm or Helpful?"
- December 15, 2010: Stuart G. Finder, Ph.D., Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - "Policy, Practice, Perspective: End of Life Care at CSMC"