Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Preventive cardiac care is a proven investment in good health and longevity. In 1995 the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services commissioned the Agency for Healthcare Policy and Research to answer long-standing questions about the benefits of preventive cardiac care and rehabilitation. The study proved that patients with a wide range of cardiac-related problems fared much better with a preventive cardiac care program than patients who did not participate in such a program.
Persons who have a heart condition or who are at risk for a heart attack need to do everything they can to maintain good health. Individuals recovering from heart surgery or angioplasty and those with congestive heart failure, cardiomyopathy, angina or heart attack have found that a key factor in preventing more damage to the heart is to get education, training and support from health professionals.
Cedars-Sinai's Preventive and Rehabilitative Cardiac Program (PRCC) is a solution to heart health. Through the PRCC, participants can take part in comprehensive programs that provide the support and training necessary to prolong life and reduce heart disease risk factors.
People who benefit most from these outpatient programs are those who have risk factors for coronary artery disease and those who have had recent heart condition treatments.
The various programs include:
- Various program monitoring levels, allowing for the ability to continuously or periodically monitor patients, dependent upon need
- Eight to twelve sixty-minute exercise sessions each month for patients who are more immediately post-cardiac event
- Twelve to twenty sixty-minute exercise sessions in the Cardiac Health and Wellness area, dependent on patient preference and cost
- Case management, with progress reports sent to referring physicians
- Nutritional counseling to develop a solid nutrition plan to reduce cardiac risk factors and maintain a healthy weight
- Periodic stress management and relaxation sessions throughout the course of therapy
- Psychological screening
- Heart rate variability assessment (at an additional cost) as a stress management assessment tool and as a part of treatment for CAD risk reduction