Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Coronary Calcium Scan
A coronary calcium scan can be a good first step towards ensuring a healthy heart. What a perfect gift for someone you love.
A Warning Before Symptoms Appear
A coronary calcium scan (CCS) is a non-invasive exam which looks for specks of calcium (called calcifications) in the walls of the coronary arteries. The coronary arteries are the vessels that supply oxygen-containing blood to the heart wall. Calcium is an early sign of coronary artery disease. The calcium score gives an idea of whether coronary artery disease is present despite a lack of symptoms or is likely to develop in the next few years.
- Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN on the Last Heart Attack and CCS.
Most people who suffer heart attacks have only average or slightly elevated cholesterol. In people with cholesterol levels as low as 180, heart attack is still the leading cause of death. Many people with plaque deposits often do not have any symptoms. This is why a coronary calcium scan is so important. This simple test can provide an early warning of coronary artery disease before experiencing any cardiac symptoms.
A coronary calcium scan is simple and easy for the patient, who lies quietly in the scanner machine. There is no injection. The test involves two breath holds and takes only about 5 minutes. To measure how much calcium has accumulated in the coronary arteries, we use a state-of-the-art 64-slice dual-source CT scanner which is many times faster than a conventional CT scanner.
Who Should Have a Coronary Calcium Scan?
This screening is for women over 55 and men over 45 with the following risk factors:
- Family history of heart disease
- Abnormal cholesterol levels
- High blood pressure
- Unhealthy lifestyle
What is included?
- Consultation with an Imaging Physician board certified in Cardiology
- Complete cholesterol test (includes LDL, HDL, and VLDL), as well as glucose
- 64-slice CT scanner
- Same day electronic reporting
A physician's referral is not required for a coronary calcium scan. A final written report will be mailed or faxed to the patient and the designated cardiologist or other physician within 48 hours of the test. The report includes the findings from the medical history, the cholesterol level and the results of the coronary calcium scan.
A coronary calcium scan is not covered by most insurance plans.
There are two price options.
- For $285, you will receive a cardiac calcium scan, a lipid panel, a same-day consultation with a cardiac imaging physician including discussion of your risk factors, scan results, possible treatments and lifestyle changes
- We will send the results to your referring physician the same day
- For $185, you will receive a cardiac calcium scan, a lipid panel, and we will send the results to your referring physician the same day.
To Purchase a Gift Certificate or to Schedule an Appointment
To purchase a gift certificate, please call 310-423-5678.
To schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake, and West Hollywood.