Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Your doctor has recommended that you have a gastric emptying study, which measures the speed with which food leaves the stomach and enters the small intestine. Gastric emptying studies are done to diagnose symptoms that may be related to slow or rapid emptying of the stomach. Our team of specialized doctors, nurses and technologists that performs gastric emptying studies is led by Alan Waxman, MD, Chair of Nuclear Medicine.
Before Arriving for Your Exam
- You can print and fill out the before arriving to speed the registration process.
- Narcotic pain relievers, anticholinergic medications, metoclopramide (Reglan) and erythromycin) should not be taken for 48 to 72 hours before your study.Please do not eat or drink for 12 hours before your exam.
- For diabetics, blood glucose levels should be maintained near normal levels for this study.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
- Upon arrival, the technologist will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have.
Please inform the doctor, technologist or nurse if you are or suspect you may be pregnant.
During the Exam
- For a gastric emptying study, you will be asked to eat a meal with a solid and a liquid component mixed with a tiny amount of radioactive material.
- A scanner is placed over your abdomen to monitor your stomach for several hours after the meal is eaten.
After the Exam
- There are no post-exam instructions.
- Your study will be reviewed by an imaging physician specialist and the results sent to your physician. Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- To request a copy of your images or a copy of your report, call 310-423-8000.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake, and West Hollywood.