Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
One of our subspecialized Musculoskeletal Imaging Physicians recently completed a perineural injection for pain relief for you. Please follow the instructions below to speed your recovery.
- You should be able to resume normal activities shortly after the perineural injection.
- You can use ice to help decrease any inflammation (swelling, pain and redness). Put crushed ice in a plastic bag or use a bag of frozen peas or corn. Cover it with a towel. Place this over the aspiration site 15 to 20 minutes every hour for as long as you need it. Do not sleep on the ice pack.
- At the end of the first session, you should be pain free for between two hours and four days. If your pain returns within an hour, it is unlikely that perineural injection therapy will be effective for you. Other treatments, such as prolotherapy may be needed. With every session, you should remain pain-free for longer and longer periods until your pain does not return. It may never return. Perineural injection therapy is effective about 85% of the time.
- If you have been on narcotics and nerve pain medicine for a long time, once you are pain free you can stop your pain medication, but do so slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- You can take anti-inflammatory medication or any other medication.
- You may have bruising. You can use ice to help decrease any inflammation (swelling, pain and redness). Put crushed ice in a plastic bag or use a bag of frozen peas or corn. Cover it with a towel. Place this over the aspiration site for 15 to 20 minutes every hour as long as you need it. Do not sleep on the ice pack.
- There is a slight risk of skin infection or allergy to the sugar-related solution which is injected.
- You may experience stiffness and soreness for up to 10 days.
- You may experience some numbness, which should pass within several days.
- If you are itchy at the site, Benadryl or Diphenhydramine can be helpful. If the itching persists, please call us.
If you have any concerns or questions, please call (310) 423-8000 and press option 3.