Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Ultrasound is a procedure that uses sound waves to "see" inside your body. An arterial duplex ultrasound uses sound waves to create a color map of the arteries in your leg(s) to identify narrowing of your vessels that may be causing leg pain when walking, resting leg pain, foot, ankle, heel or toe ulcers, or skin discoloration. At the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center we have an expert team of physicians, nurses and technologists who are highly trained in ultrasound imaging.
Before Your Exam
- There is no preparation for this procedure.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Please consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass any time you have to wait.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
- Directions and Parking Information
Above: an arterial duplex ultrasound showing blood flow in the right femoral artery in the leg.
During Your Exam
- The vascular technologist will explain your exam and answer any questions you may have.
- Your procedure will be performed with you lying on the examination table on your back with your hands at your sides or on your stomach.
- The technologist will apply warm gel to your leg(s).
- A transducer, a small, microphone-like device, will be placed over various locations on your leg(s).
- Blood pressure readings will be taken of your ankles. You will not feel any pain; however you will feel mild pressure from the blood-pressure cuff and the transducer.
- Sound waves will bounce off the muscle and tissue in your body and off the blood moving in your arteries. This creates "echoes." The echoes are reflected back to the transducer. A television monitor shows images as the transducer converts the echoes to electronic signals.
- These images may be viewed immediately or photographed for further study.
- You will hear unusual sounds as the technologist views and records the blood flowing through the veins and arteries in your leg(s).
- Your exam will take approximately 60 minutes; in some cases you will be asked to do some mild exercises, which can take longer.
After Your Exam
- There are no post-exam instructions.
- Your study will be reviewed by a vascular ultrasound specialist and the results sent to your physician. Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- If you have any problems related to your procedure, please call 310-423-8000.
- To request a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake, and West Hollywood.