A coronary calcium scan can be a good first step towards ensuring a healthy heart. What better gift could you give to someone you love?
A coronary calcium scan is a non-invasive exam which obtains information about the location and extent of calcified plaque in the coronary arteries. The coronary arteries are the vessels that supply oxygen-containing blood to the heart wall. Calcium is a marker of coronary artery disease. The calcium score gives an idea of whether coronary artery disease is present despite a lack of symptoms or is likely to develop in the next few years.
Most people who suffer heart attacks have only average or slightly elevated cholesterol. In people with cholesterol levels as low as 180, heart attack is still the leading cause of death. Many people with plaque deposits often do not have any symptoms. This is why a coronary calcium scan is so important. This simple test can provide an early warning of coronary artery disease before experiencing any cardiac symptoms.
This typically painless procedure only takes 10 minutes. To measure how much calcium has accumulated in the coronary arteries, the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center at Cedars-Sinai uses a state-of-the-art 64-slice dual-source CT scanner which is many times faster than a conventional CT scanner.
This screening is for women over 55 and men over 45 with the following risk factors:
- Family history of heart disease
- Abnormal cholesterol levels
- High blood pressure
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Consultation with an Imaging Physician board certified in Cardiology
- Complete cholesterol test (includes LDL, HDL, and VLDL)
- Scan on a 64-slice CT scanner
- Same day electronic reporting
A physician's referral is not required for a coronary calcium scan. A final written report will be mailed or faxed to the patient and the designated cardiologist or other physician within 48 hours of the test. The report includes the findings from the medical history, the cholesterol level and the results of the coronary calcium scan.
A coronary calcium scan is not covered by most insurance plans.
There are two price options.
- For $300, you will receive a Cardiac Calcium Scan, a lipid panel, a same-day consultation with a cardiac imaging physician, and we will send the results to your referring physician the same day.
- For $185, you will receive a Cardiac Calcium Scan, a lipid panel, and we will send the results to your referring physician the same day.
For More Information
To purchase a gift certificate, for more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at:
|S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center|
|Cedars-Sinai Medical Center|
|Corner of San Vicente Blvd. and Gracie Allen Dr.|
|Los Angeles, CA 90048|
|Phone: (310) 423-8000|
|Send Us a Message|