Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Services and Support Request
Statistics provides a foundation for the design, conduct, and analysis of experiments and studies based on data subject to random variation. Consequently, biostatistical and bioinformatics support is critical to many investigators at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and biostatisticians play a fundamental role in both pre- and post-funding award stages of most research studies. The Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Core is a shared institutional resource for biostatistical and bioinformatics consulting and related methodological research. It is recognized as a critical component of the research infrastructure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and serves as a focal point from which Institute investigators may draw statistical expertise for planning, management, and analysis of their studies. Faculty and staff also develop, test and implement various techniques of statistical analysis, including mathematical modeling, applicable to cancer research. Types of research supported include clinical trials, translational research, epidemiology, behavioral, and basic science.
Faculty and staff at the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Core:
- Coordinate and manage statistical activities in Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to ensure that investigators have ready access to statistical consultation and support
- Provide statistical expertise in the design of experiments and studies, including research proposal development, sample size determination, randomization procedures, and plans for interim reviews and final analysis
- Assist with the writing of statistical components of manuscripts
- Review the integrity and statistical soundness of all studies involving human subjects
- Provide statistical analysis for projects using appropriate statistical and computing methodologies, assist in the interpretation and presentation of results
- Interact and collaborate with the Clinical Research Office in the development of protocols, and the monitoring and reporting of clinical data
- Maintain a computing facility with up-to-date software for statistical analysis to support program project investigators
- Conduct biostatistical and bioinformatics methodology research on practical problems arising in basic science, populational and clinical studies
Our priority for usage is:
The Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Core assigns highest priority to work in three areas:
- Investigator-initiated, therapeutic clinical trials, especially those involving translational research
- Grant proposals seeking peer-reviewed funding from the NIH or equivalent funding agencies
- Funded peer-reviewed translational, therapeutic, or basic-science studies
To enhance the ability of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to conduct clinical trials, we also give high priority to teaching medical fellows and residents intent on pursuing research careers.
A second tier of priorities, which are addressed on a time-available basis, relates to work on non-funded projects intended for publication in major peer-reviewed journals.
A third tier of priorities, which are also addressed on a time-available basis, relates to work not described above.
To promote collegial collaborations, especially with young investigators, the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Core has not routinely billed for consultations. We have been successful in building collaborations that have led to peer-review funded grants. Members of the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Core seek to establish enduring collaborations with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center investigators to advance programmatic research at the Medical Center. Such collaborations develop statisticians' subject-matter knowledge of specific areas of disease-related investigation and help ensure that statistical considerations are properly incorporated into studies from planning through implementation, to analysis and interpretation.
Support Request Form
To request consultation with our Biostatisticians please use our online Service Request Form. We will make every effort to respond within two working days.
Catalog of Projects
To access the Biostatistics Project Catalog please click here (internal use only).