Injury Prevention Resources
The following national organizations offer a variety of safety and injury prevention programs described below.
American Academy of Pediatrics
- The Injury Prevention Program (TIPP) is an educational program for parents of children newborn through 12 years of age to help prevent common injuries. There are safety sheets available by age categories that discuss appropriate safety guidelines for each age.
- Car Safety Seats and Transportation Safety. This site provides important safety rules for use of car safety seats. The site also has some frequently asked questions about car safety seats and includes information on air bag safety, a booster seat teaching tool and teen driver safety.
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
The CDC has a variety of topics on injury and violence prevention. Each fact sheet tells who is at risk for various injuries and how the risk of injury can be reduced.
- Falls and Hip Fractures Among Older Adults
- Injuries Among Children & Adolescents
- Older Adult Drivers
- Water-Related Injuries
- Youth Violence
Los Angeles County Department of Health, Injury & Violence Prevention Program
This site has safety tips on various injury prevention topics.
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Pedestrian Safety Tips for Children and Adults
- Playground Safety
- Skateboard Safety
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
MADD provides information on programs to stop drunk driving and help support victims.
- Safe Party Guide: (En Espanol tambien) Provides myths and facts about drinking and driving, drunk driving statistics, how to spot a drunk driver, and issues of social responsibility.
- Designate a Driver Program: Explains the responsibilities of the designated driver.
- Youth In Action Program: Teams of young people looking for community solutions to deter underage drinking.
- UMADD: This is a college campus-based organization that addresses underage drinking.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Transportation Safety Tips for Children
- How to identify aggressive drivers and what to do when confronted by one
Safe Kids Worldwide
- Safety tips on bike and car safety, fires, burns, pedestrian and water safety to show parents how parents to keep their children safe.
State of California
Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
This site has various campaigns and activity suggestions for students to organize.
- Friends for Life campaign is a friendship bracelet fundraiser to remind peers that they have the power to influence each other in a positive way.
Additional Resources and Information on Injury Prevention
- American Trauma Society (ATS)
- Centers for Disease Control National Center for Injury Prevention and Control
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
A resource for grant opportunities and program development.
- Injury Prevention Web. Charts and tables of injury data by region and state.
- Safety Lit. Weekly updates on injury prevention research activities.
- World Health Organization. Data and information about injuries and injury prevention on a global or international level.