Fruits and Vegetables for Prostate Cancer
Fruits and vegetables offer several benefits. First, they contain antioxidants, which can destroy carcinogens. Second, they contain dietary fiber, which may lower testosterone levels, thus taking away a stimulus for tumor growth. In addition, fruits and vegetables contain a wide variety of phytonutrients, which are unique substances produced by plants to protect the plant cells against damage. These substances work the same way in the body, protecting cells against damage. Each phytonutrient works differently to promote overall good health. Many of these substances exhibit anti-cancer effects. Lycopene, the red pigment found in tomatoes, is a phytonutrient that exhibits anti-cancer effects.
The colors of fruits and vegetables are significant because they represent different phytonutrients, which have different effects on the body. The UCLA Center for Human Nutrition's color code system for fruits and vegetables is an extremely valuable tool, which utilizes color coding to maintain a diet rich in a variety of these compounds.
The UCLA Center for Human Nutrition's Color Code System for Fruits and Vegetables
Urology Center Recommendations
- The UCLA Center for Human Nutrition's color code system will help you to maintain diversity in your choices of fruits and vegetables. It also ensures that you intake a variety of phytonutrients. Aim for one food item from each color group per day.
- Eat seven or more servings of fruit and vegetables per day.
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. This will give you a wide range of phytonutrients.
Easy ways to add more vegetables and fruits to your diet:
- Add vegetables to your pasta, soups, etc.
- Buy a vegetarian cookbook.
- Eat fruit for dessert.
- Make fruit smoothies for desserts, snacks or as a meal.
- Snack on fruits and vegetables (e.g., carrot and celery sticks).
- Have a salad for lunch or with lunch.
- Visit your local farmer's market for fresh, seasonal produce.
Sources and Actions of Selected Phytonutrients
Click here to view information about green tea.