Women's Cancer Program In the News
Below are breaking news items, news releases, patient education pieces and academic publications containing up-to-date information about cancer, medical advances, promising research studies and the Women's Cancer Program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
In the News
In this section, researchers from the Women's Cancer Program will present their expert views on current research headlines.
- On September 7, 2005, Dr. Beth Karlan testified to the U.S. House of Representatives on behalf of H.R. 1245, the Gynecologic Cancer Education and Awareness Act of 2005 - commonly referred to as "Johanna's Law." Passage of Johanna's Law could immediately prevent needless deaths from gynecologic cancers. For a transcript of her testimony, click here.
- Women's Health Research Registry Now Online
If you're interested in participating in clinical trials at Cedars-Sinai, please go to: www.cedars-sinai.edu/whrr
Click on the links below to read news stories that the Women's Cancer Program has released to the media.
- Cedars-Sinai Women's Cancer Program Recognized as one of the Nations Top Centers for Gynecologic Oncology (May 22, 2009)
- Women Encouraged to Learn Their Family Health History During Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month in September (August 21, 2006)
- Targeted Cancer Drug Combined with a Pill Form of Low-Dose Chemotherapy Found to Shrink Tumors and Slow Progression of Recurrent Ovarian Cancer (May 15, 2005)
The following are publications developed and printed by Cedars-Sinai Women's Cancer Program.
WCRInformation E-blasts are electronic updates created and sent by Cedars-Sinai Women's Cancer Program.
- WCRInformation - E-blast 35
- WCRInformation - E-blast 34
- WCRInformation - E-blast 33
- WCRInformation - E-blast 32
- WCRInformation - E-blast 31
- WCRInformation - E-blast 30
- WCRInformation - E-blast 29
- WCRInformation - E-blast 28
- WCRInformation - E-blast 27
Below are academic articles published by our physicians.
- Frequent genomic abnormalities in acute myeloid leukemia/myelodysplastic syndrome with normal karyotype (February 2009) Akagi T, Ogawa S, Dugas M, Kawamata N, Yamamoto G, Nannya Y, Sanada M, Miller CW, Yung A, Schnittger S, Haferlach T, Haferlach C, Koeffler HP
- MUC16 expression during embryogenesis, in adult tissues, and ovarian cancer in the mouse (December 2008) Wang Y, Cheon DJ, Lu Z, Cunningham SL, Chen CM, Luo RZ, Xing D, Orsulic S, Bast RC Jr, Behringer RR
- Hepsin colocalizes with desmosomes and induces progression of ovarian cancer in a mouse model (November 2008) Miao J, Mu D, Ergel B, Singavarapu R, Duan Z, Powers S, Oliva E, Orsulic S
- Hormone therapy and the risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 mutation carriers (September 2008) Eisen A, Lubinski J, Gronwald J, Moller P, Lynch HT, Klijn J, Kim-Sing C, Neuhausen SL, Gilbert L, Ghadirian P, Manoukian S, Rennert G, Friedman E, Isaacs C, Rosen E, Rosen B, Daly M, Sun P, Narod SA; Hereditary Breast Cancer Clinical Study Group, Olopade O, Cummings S, Tung N, Couch F, Foulkes WD, Domchek S, Stoppa-Lyonnet D, Gershoni-Baruch R, Horsman D, Wagner T, Saal H, Warner E, Meschino W, Offit K, Trivedi A, Robson M, Osborne M, Gilchrist D, Eng C, Weitzel J, McKinnon W, Wood M, Maugard C, Pasini B, Ainsworth P, Osborne M, Sweet K, Pasche B, Fallen T, Karlan B, Kurz RN, Armel S, Tulman A, Lemire E, Mclennan J, Evans G, Byrski T, Huzarski T, Shulman L
- Cloning of genes involved in chromosomal translocations by high-resolution single nucleotide polymorphism genomic microarray (August 2008) Kawamata N, Ogawa S, Zimmermann M, Niebuhr B, Stocking C, Sanada M, Hemminki K, Yamatomo G, Nannya Y, Koehler R, Flohr T, Miller CW, Harbott J, Ludwig WD, Stanulla M, Schrappe M, Bartram CR, Koeffler HP
- Rapid progression of prostate cancer in men with a BRCA2 mutation (June 2008) Narod SA, Neuhausen S, Vichodez G, Armel S, Lynch HT, Ghadirian P, Cummings S, Olopade O, Stoppa-Lyonnet D, Couch F, Wagner T, Warner E, Foulkes WD, Saal H, Weitzel J, Tulman A, Poll A, Nam R, Sun P; Hereditary Breast Cancer Study Group, Danquah J, Domchek S, Tung N, Ainsworth P, Horsman D, Kim-Sing C, Maugard C, Eisen A, Daly M, McKinnon W, Wood M, Isaacs C, Gilchrist D, Karlan B, Nedelcu R, Meschino W, Garber J, Pasini B, Manoukian S, Bellati C
- Variations in practice guideline adherence for abnormal cervical cytology in a county healthcare system (May 2008) Singhal R, Rubenstein LV, Wang M, Lee ML, Raza A, Holschneider CH
- Secondary BRCA1 mutations in BRCA1-mutated ovarian carcinomas with platinum resistance (April 2008) Swisher EM, Sakai W, Karlan BY, Wurz K, Urban N, Taniguchi T
- Secondary mutations as a mechanism of cisplatin resistance in BRCA2-mutated cancers (February 2008) Sakai W, Swisher EM, Karlan BY, Agarwal MK, Higgins J, Friedman C, Villegas E, Jacquemont C, Farrugia DJ, Couch FJ, Urban N, Taniguchi T
- Mechanisms of Cables 1 gene inactivation in human ovarian cancer development (February 2008) Sakamoto H, Friel AM, Wood AW, Guo L, Ilic A, Seiden MV, Chung DC, Lynch MP, Serikawa T, Munro E, Oliva E, Orsulic S, Kirley SD, Foster R, Zukerberg LR, Rueda BR
- Molecular allelokaryotyping of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemias by high-resolution single nucleotide polymorphism oligonucleotide genomic microarray (January 2008) Kawamata N, Ogawa S, Zimmermann M, Kato M, Sanada M, Hemminki K, Yamatomo G, Nannya Y, Koehler R, Flohr T, Miller CW, Harbott J, Ludwig WD, Stanulla M, Schrappe M, Bartram CR, Koeffler HP