Andrew Klein, MD, MBA
Director, Comprehensive Transplant Center
|Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute|
Awards and Activities
|Esther and Mark Schulman Chair in Surgery and Transplantation Medicine||2006|
|MBA Student of the Year, Johns Hopkins University||2002|
|Clinician Scientist Award, Johns Hopkins University||1991|
|Editorial Board: Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery||Current|
|Editorial Board: Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases Intl||Current|
|United Network for Organ Sharing||1990|
|American College of Surgeons, Fellow||1991|
|American Association for the Study of Liver Disease||1999|
|American Surgical Association||2002|
The central theme of the laboratory is to understand at cellular and molecular levels the processes which occur after transplanting an organ that ultimately lead to injury, scarring, and loss of organ function collectively referred to as chronic rejection.
Quantification of hepatic reticuloendothelial cell function focusing on the role of toxic oxidants. Defining the pro-inflammatory molecules and communication pathways which exist between intragraft fibroblasts and macrophages.
Current investigations include:
Mechanisms of chronic rejection. Tolerance. Improving organ transplant outcomes.
- Klein AS, Zhadkevich M, Wang D, Margolick JB, Winkelstein JA, Bulkley GB: Discriminant quantitation of posttransplant hepatic reticuloendothelial function. The impact of ischemic preservation. Transplantation, 61(8): 1156-61, 1996
- He Y, Wu GD, Sadahiro T, Noh SI, Wang H, Talavera D, Wang H, Vierling JM, Klein AS: Interaction of CD44 and Hyaluronic Acid Enhances Biliary Epithelial Proliferation in Cholestatic Livers. Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol., , 2008
- Wu GD, He Y, Chai NN, Toyoda M, Dunn R, Kehry MR, Klein AS, Jordan SC: Anti-CD20 antibody suppresses anti-HLA antibody formation in a HLA-A2 transgenic mouse model of sensitization. Transpl. Immunol., , 2008
- Klein AS, Cofer JB, Pruett TL, Thuluvath PJ, McGory R, Uber L, Stevenson WC, Baliga P, Burdick JF: Prostaglandin E1 administration following orthotopic liver transplantation: a randomized prospective multicenter trial. Gastroenterology, 111(3): 710-5, 1996
- Sun Z, Wada T, Hoshino S, Uchikura K, Klein AS: Immunomodulatory Role of Kupffer Cell in Liver Allografts. Comparative hepatology, 3 Suppl 1: S32, 2004
- Sakamoto N, Sun Z, Brengman ML, Maemura K, Ozaki M, Bulkley GB, Klein AS: Hepatic reticuloendothelial system dysfunction after ischemia-reperfusion: role of P-selectin-mediated neutrophil accumulation. Liver Transpl., 9(9): 940-8, 2003