Dodanim Talavera, MD, MS, PhD
Research Scientist, Comprehensive Transplant Center
Awards and Activities
|Rechmiel-Levine Scientific Achievement Award||2010|
Mechanisms of differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells to functional insulin-producing beta cells. Test novel endothelial signaling toward the formation of pancreatic endocrine cells in particular beta cells. Employ molecular and cellular in vitro models to derived insulin-producing cells. Test function of these cells in animal models of diabetes.
Leader in the discovery of endothelial signals in vitro that enhances differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells to insulin-producing beta cells. Development of insulin-producing cell lines from human pluripotent stem cells for future treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus.
Current investigations include:
Endothelial signaling toward beta-cell differentiation. Microenvironment required for in vitro expansion of insulin-producing cells derived from human pluripotent stem cells. In vitro characterization of insulin-producing beta cells derived from human pluripotent stem cells. In vivo function of insulin-producing beta cells derived from human pluripotent stem cells.
- Talavera-Adame D, Wu G, He Y, Ng TT, Gupta A, Kurtovic S, Hwang JY, Farkas DL, Dafoe DC: Endothelial cells in co-culture enhance embryonic stem cell differentiation to pancreatic progenitors and insulin-producing cells through BMP signaling. Stem Cell Rev, 7(3): 532-43, 2011
- Talavera-Adame D, Ng TT, Gupta A, Kurtovic S, Wu GD, Dafoe DC: Characterization of microvascular endothelial cells isolated from the dermis of adult mouse tails. Microvasc. Res., 82(2): 97-104, 2011
- Talavera-Adame D, Dafoe DC, Ng TT, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Castillo-Henkel C, Farkas DL: Enhancement of embryonic stem cell differentiation promoted by avian chorioallantoic membranes. Tissue Eng Part A, 15(10): 3193-200, 2009
- He Y, Wu GD, Sadahiro T, Noh SI, Wang H, Talavera D, Wang H, Vierling JM, Klein AS: Interaction of CD44 and hyaluronic acid enhances biliary epithelial proliferation in cholestatic livers. Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol., 295(2): G305-12, 2008
- Cha ST, Talavera D, Demir E, Nath AK, Sierra-Honigmann MR: A method of isolation and culture of microvascular endothelial cells from mouse skin. Microvasc. Res., 70(3): 198-204, 2005
- Talavera-Adame D, Xiong Y, Zhao T, Arias AE, Sierra-Honigmann MR, Farkas DL: Quantitative and morphometric evaluation of the angiogenic effects of leptin. J Biomed Opt, 13(6): 064017