Dwain Morris-Irvin, PhD, MPH
Research Scientist, Neurosurgery
|Assistant Professor, Neurosurgery|
Awards and Activities
|NIH R01 Minority Supplement Award (NINDS)||2005|
|NIH/ NIMH & NINDS Society for Neuroscience Postdoctoral Minority Fellowship Award||2003|
|UCLA Graduate Division Fellowship Award||2001|
|UCLA School of Medicine, Medical Pharmacology Travel Awards||2001|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer: Neurobiology of Disease||Current|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer: Experimental Neurology||Current|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer: Current Stem Cell Research & Therapy||Current|
|Society for Neuroscience||1996|
|National Environmental Health Association||1998 - 2002|
|International Society for Stem Cell Research||2005|
Neural stem cells for neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson's disease. Dendritic cell-based vaccination against brain tumors, including glioblastoma and tumor immunology. Examine the potential of neural stem cells for cell replacement therapy. Examine the potential of presumed tumor stem cells in tumorigenesis.
Demonstrated the potential of viral gene delivery for the manipulation of neural stem and progenitor cell fates. Also, demonstrated the use of in-vivo viral gene delivery to mark and characterize neural stem and progenitor cells during development and in the pathological brain.
Current investigations include:
The role of TLR signaling in dendritic cell-based vaccination therapy against glioblastoma. Tumor immunology for the purpose of identifying novel immune targets for immunotherapy against brain tumors.
- Ghods AJ, Irvin D, Liu G, Yuan X, Abdulkadir IR, Tunici P, Konda B, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Black KL, Yu JS: Spheres isolated from 9L gliosarcoma rat cell line possess chemoresistant and aggressive cancer stem-like cells. Stem Cells, 25(7): 1645-53, 2007
- Black KL, Yin D, Konda BM, Wang X, Hu J, Ko MK, Bayan JA, Sacapano MR, Espinoza AJ, Ong JM, Irvin D, Shu Y: Different effects of K(Ca) and K(ATP) agonists on brain tumor permeability between syngeneic and allogeneic rat models. Brain Res., , 2008
- Irvin DK, Kirik D, Björklund A, Thompson LH: In vivo gene delivery to proliferating cells in the striatum generated in response to a 6-hydroxydopamine lesion of the nigro-striatal dopamine pathway. Neurobiol. Dis., 30(3): 343-52, 2008
- Yin D, Wang X, Konda BM, Ong JM, Hu J, Sacapano MR, Ko MK, Espinoza AJ, Irvin DK, Shu Y, Black KL: Increase in brain tumor permeability in glioma-bearing rats with nitric oxide donors. Clin. Cancer Res., 14(12): 4002-9, 2008
- Wheeler CJ, Black KL, Liu G, Mazer M, Zhang XX, Pepkowitz S, Goldfinger D, Ng H, Irvin D, Yu JS: Vaccination elicits correlated immune and clinical responses in glioblastoma multiforme patients. Cancer Res., 68(14): 5955-64, 2008
- Andersson EK, Irvin DK, Ahlsiö J, Parmar M: Ngn2 and Nurr1 act in synergy to induce midbrain dopaminergic neurons from expanded neural stem and progenitor cells. Exp. Cell Res., 313(6): 1172-80, 2006