Jerome I. Rotter, MD, FACP, FACMG, AGF
Director, Medical Genetics
Director Of Research, Medical Genetics Research Institute
Co-Director, Medical Genetics Research Institute
|Medical Genetics Research Institute|
|Professor, Human Genetics|
Awards and Activities
|Chair, Steering Committee, NHLBI MESA Family Study||2003|
|Board of Governors Chair in Medical Genetics||1998|
|Associate Editor: Diabetes (journal of the American Diabetes Association)||Current|
|Editor: The Genetic Basis of Common Diseases||Current|
Genetic basis of common diseases, including cardiovascular-metabolic (atherosclerosis, diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, insulin resistance), gastrointestinal-autoimmune (inflammatory bowel disease-Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), and eye diseases (diabetic retinopathy, keratoconus). Approaches include family based linkage studies, candidate gene studies, and genome-wide association studies, utilizing patients, controls, and family members.
Pioneered the genetics of common diseases, using approaches of intermediate phenotypes and genetic heterogeneity in inflammatory bowel disease, atherosclerosis, lipid disorders, statin response, and insulin resistance.
Current investigations include:
Genetics of common diseases (inflammatory bowel, eye, and cardiovascular/metabolic diseases). Genome-wide association studies to understand biological pathways contributing to disease. Pharmacogenomics.
- Taylor KD, Targan SR, Mei L, Ippoliti AF, McGovern D, Mengesha E, King L, Rotter JI: IL23R haplotypes provide a large population attributable risk for Crohn's disease. Inflamm. Bowel Dis., , 2008
- Krauss RM, Mangravite LM, Smith JD, Medina MW, Wang D, Guo X, Rieder MJ, Simon JA, Hulley SB, Waters D, Saad M, Williams PT, Taylor KD, Yang H, Nickerson DA, Rotter JI: Variation in the 3-hydroxyl-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme a reductase gene is associated with racial differences in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol response to simvastatin treatment. Circulation, 117(12): 1537-44, 2008
- Goodarzi MO, Lehman DM, Taylor KD, Guo X, Cui J, Quiñones MJ, Clee SM, Yandell BS, Blangero J, Hsueh WA, Attie AD, Stern MP, Rotter JI: SORCS1: a novel human type 2 diabetes susceptibility gene suggested by the mouse. Diabetes, 56(7): 1922-9, 2007
- Devlin SM, Yang H, Ippoliti A, Taylor KD, Landers CJ, Su X, Abreu MT, Papadakis KA, Vasiliauskas EA, Melmed GY, Fleshner PR, Mei L, Rotter JI, Targan SR: NOD2 variants and antibody response to microbial antigens in Crohn's disease patients and their unaffected relatives. Gastroenterology, 132(2): 576-86, 2006
- Duerr RH, Taylor KD, Brant SR, Rioux JD, Silverberg MS, Daly MJ, Steinhart AH, Abraham C, Regueiro M, Griffiths A, Dassopoulos T, Bitton A, Yang H, Targan S, Datta LW, Kistner EO, Schumm LP, Lee AT, Gregersen PK, Barmada MM, Rotter JI, Nicolae DL, Cho JH: A genome-wide association study identifies IL23R as an inflammatory bowel disease gene. Science, 314(5804): 1461-3, 2006
- Palmer ND, Goodarzi MO, Langefeld CD, Ziegler J, Norris JM, Haffner SM, Bryer-Ash M, Bergman RN, Wagenknecht LE, Taylor KD, Rotter JI, Bowden DW: Quantitative trait analysis of type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci identified from whole genome association studies in the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Family Study. Diabetes, 57(4): 1093-100, 2008