Leland Chung, PhD
Director, Uro-Oncology Research Program, Cancer Institute
Reciprocal tumor-stroma interaction, molecular imaging and targeting.
Characterization of tumor-stroma interaction, signaling and proposed the concept of co-targeting tumor and stroma for cancer growth control. Discovery of osteomimetic properties of cancer cells and designed beta 2 microglobulin-based targeting of cell growth and signaling pathways. Discovery of new near-infrared heptamethine cyanine dyes and dye-drug conjugates for cancer imaging and targeting.
Current investigations include:
Molecular mechanisms and cell signaling network regulating prostate cancer bone metastases; Beta 2-microglobulin-mediated cell growth and signaling targeting in combination with ionizing radiation and chemotherapy; Cancer imaging and targeting with organic heptamethine cyanine dyes and dye-drug conjugates.
- Zhao L, Lu YT, Li F, Wu K, Hou S, Yu J, Shen Q, Wu D, Song M, Ouyang WH, Luo Z, Lee T, Fang X, Shao C, Xu X, Garcia MA, Chung LW, Rettig M, Tseng HR, Posadas EM: High-Purity Prostate Circulating Tumor Cell Isolation by a Polymer Nanofiber-Embedded Microchip for Whole Exome Sequencing. Adv. Mater. Weinheim, , 2013
- Hu P, Chu GC, Zhu G, Yang H, Luthringer D, Prins G, Habib F, Wang Y, Wang R, Chung LW, Zhau HE: Multiplexed quantum dot labeling of activated c-Met signaling in castration-resistant human prostate cancer. PLoS ONE, 6(12): e28670, 2011
- Josson S, Nomura T, Lin JT, Huang WC, Wu D, Zhau HE, Zayzafoon M, Weizmann MN, Gururajan M, Chung LW: ß2-microglobulin induces epithelial to mesenchymal transition and confers cancer lethality and bone metastasis in human cancer cells. Cancer Res., 71(7): 2600-10, 2011
- Huang WC, Zhau HE, Chung LW: Androgen receptor survival signaling is blocked by anti-beta2-microglobulin monoclonal antibody via a MAPK/lipogenic pathway in human prostate cancer cells. The Journal of biological chemistry, 285(11): 7947-56, 2010
- Yang X, Shi C, Tong R, Qian W, Zhau HE, Wang R, Zhu G, Cheng J, Yang VW, Cheng T, Henary M, Strekowski L, Chung LW: Near IR heptamethine cyanine dye-mediated cancer imaging. Clin. Cancer Res., 16(10): 2833-44, 2010