Lidia Szczepaniak, PhD
Director, Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Biomedical Imaging Research Institute, Biomedical Sciences
|Associate Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
|Associate Professor, Medicine|
The role of ectopic fat deposition in the development of overnutrition related obesity and associated complications such as type 2 diabetes and cardiomyopathy of diabetes. Investigating the concept of steatosis and lipotoxicity hypothesis.
Developed, validated, and utilized a novel methodology involving proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H MRS) to quantitatively and noninvasively measure fat in human organs, such as skeletal muscle, liver, pancreas, and the heart.
Current investigations include:
Determine the role of steatosis and lipotoxicity on pancreatic function in patients with obesity, Impaired Glucose Tolerance, and diabetes. Testing anti-steatotic action of Nebivolol treatment in pre-diabetic patients.
- McGavock JM, Victor RG, Unger RH, Szczepaniak LS, American College of Physicians and the American Physiological Society: Adiposity of the heart, revisited. Ann. Intern. Med., 144(7): 517-24, 2006
- Lingvay I, Esser V, Legendre JL, Price AL, Wertz KM, Adams-Huet B, Zhang S, Unger RH, Szczepaniak LS: Noninvasive quantification of pancreatic fat in humans. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 94(10): 4070-6, 2009
- Lingvay I, Raskin P, Szczepaniak LS: The fatty hearts of patients with diabetes. Nat Rev Cardiol, 6(4): 268-9, 2009
- Szczepaniak LS, Victor RG, Orci L, Unger RH: Forgotten but not gone: the rediscovery of fatty heart, the most common unrecognized disease in America. Circ. Res., 101(8): 759-67, 2007
- McGavock JM, Lingvay I, Zib I, Tillery T, Salas N, Unger R, Levine BD, Raskin P, Victor RG, Szczepaniak LS: Cardiac steatosis in diabetes mellitus: a 1H-magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Circulation, 116(10): 1170-5, 2007