Mahul B. Amin, MD
Chair, Pathology and Lab Medicine
Awards and Activities
|"America's Top Doctors for Cancer" listing, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.||2005|
|"Best Doctors of America", Best Doctors Inc.||2002|
|Chairman, Pathology Commitee, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group||2002|
|Associate Editor: Archives for Pathology & Lab Medicine||Current|
|Editorial Board: CAP Today||Current|
|Editorial Board: Annals of Diagnostic Pathology||Current|
|Editor-in-Chief: Advances in Anatomic Pathology||Current|
|Editorial Board: American Journal of Surgical Pathology||Current|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer: Multiple Journals||Current|
Scientific interests are in the discovery and validation of biomarkers in urologic malignancies for clinical personalized medicine. The focus is on analyzing clinical tissue specimens from tumors of the prostate, bladder, testis and kidney.
Clinical research has led to the understanding of the role of histologic characterization of renal tumors in terms of prognosis and risk stratification. Studies in bladder cancer have defined several new histologic types that have been established as clinico-pathologic entities in bladder cancer.
Current investigations include:
Working closely with investigators at the Prostate Cancer Institute at Cedars-Sinai to perform comprehensive genomic interrogation of advanced prostate cancer including genome-wide transcription profiling and sequence-based mutational analysis. Genomic/proteomic correlations will be made to identify candidate genes and pathways and discovery of novel biomarkers of prostate cancer.
- Lim SD, Young AN, Paner GP, Amin MB: Prognostic role of CD44 cell adhesion molecule expression in primary and metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study of 125 cases. Virchows Arch., 452(1): 49-55, 2007
- Hornsby CD, Cohen C, Amin MB, Picken MM, Lawson D, Yin-Goen Q, Young AN: Claudin-7 immunohistochemistry in renal tumors: a candidate marker for chromophobe renal cell carcinoma identified by gene expression profiling. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med., 131(10): 1541-6, 2007
- Kuehn A, Paner GP, Skinnider BF, Cohen C, Datta MW, Young AN, Srigley JR, Amin MB: Expression analysis of kidney-specific cadherin in a wide spectrum of traditional and newly recognized renal epithelial neoplasms: diagnostic and histogenetic implications. Am. J. Surg. Pathol., 31(10): 1528-33, 2007
- Paner GP, Ro JY, Wojcik EM, Venkataraman G, Datta MW, Amin MB: Further characterization of the muscle layers and lamina propria of the urinary bladder by systematic histologic mapping: implications for pathologic staging of invasive urothelial carcinoma. Am. J. Surg. Pathol., 31(9): 1420-9, 2007
- Giedl J, Wild PJ, Stoehr R, Junker K, Boehm S, van Oers JM, Zwarthoff EC, Blaszyk H, Fine SW, Humphrey PA, Dehner LP, Amin MB, Epstein JI, Hartmann A: [Urothelial neoplasms in individuals younger than 20 years show very few genetic alterations and have a favourable clinical outcome]. Verhandlungen der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Pathologie, 90: 253-63, 2006