Philip Frykman, MD, PhD, MBA
Associate Director, General Pediatric Surgery
|Assistant Professor, Surgery|
Awards and Activities
|Section Editor: Mont Reid Surgical Handbook||2001 - 2002|
|Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Su||2001|
|Mont Reid Surgical Society||2002|
|International Pediatric Endosurgery Group||2004|
|Association for Academic Surgery||2007|
|American College of Surgeons||2007|
|American Pediatric Surgical Association||2007|
|Pacific Association of Pediatric Surgeons||2007|
Understanding the molecular and cellular mechanisms that lead to Hirschsprung's associated enterocolitis (HAEC). Employ surgical and transgenic animal models to understand the physiology of Hirschsprung's Disease and HAEC. This crosses disciplines of immunobiology, membrane physiology, and microsurgery for a multi-pronged approach to this challenging problem.
Created a novel animal model in which to study post-pullthrough Hirschsprung's disease and Hirschsprung's associated enterocolitis. Currently employing a mouse genetics approach to understanding HAEC. Leader in employment of spectral imaging techhology to the intrasurgical localization of Hirschsprung's disease to guide intrasurgical decision-making.
Current investigations include:
Currently using the microsurgical model of post-pullthrough Hirschsprung's Disease to study the factors that lead to Hirschsprung's associated enterocolitis (HAEC). This has led to studying the mucosal permeability and gut immunity in the colon that appear to be altered in mice with HD compared to normal mice. This may yield new approaches to more effectively treat children with HD and HAEC.
- Frykman PK, Hagiike M, Hui TT, Berci G: Experience with a New 3-mm Laparoscope in Complex Neonatal Minimally Invasive Surgery: A Preliminary Report. Journal of laparoendoscopic & advanced surgical techniques. Part A, 18(3): 439-442, 2008
- Tubbs RS, Frykman PK, Harmon CM, Oakes WJ, Wellons JC: An unusual sequelae of an infected persistent dermal sinus tract. Child's nervous system : ChNS : official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, 23(5): 569-71, 2006
- Ishibashi S, Schwarz M, Frykman PK, Herz J, Russell DW: Disruption of cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase gene in mice. I. Postnatal lethality reversed by bile acid and vitamin supplementation. J. Biol. Chem., 271(30): 18017-23, 1996
- Frykman PK, Brown MS, Yamamoto T, Goldstein JL, Herz J: Normal plasma lipoproteins and fertility in gene-targeted mice homozygous for a disruption in the gene encoding very low density lipoprotein receptor. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 92(18): 8453-7, 1995
- Jokinen EV, Landschulz KT, Wyne KL, Ho YK, Frykman PK, Hobbs HH: Regulation of the very low density lipoprotein receptor by thyroid hormone in rat skeletal muscle. J. Biol. Chem., 269(42): 26411-8, 1994