Stuart Silverman, MD
Medical Director, Bone Health Center, Medicine
Awards and Activities
|Fellow of American College of Physicians||1980|
|Fellow of American College of Rheumatology||1990|
|Clinical Professor of Medicine||1994|
|Member of Council of Scientific Advisors of International Osteoporosis Foundation||2004|
|Director - Cedars-Sinai Bone Center of Excellence||2010|
Epidemiology of osteoporosis and fibromyalgia with emphasis on racial and ethnic diversity; primary and secondary nonadherence to medications in osteoporosis; health-related quality of life in patients with osteoporosis; patient preferences in decision-making about osteoporosis medications.
Development of the Osteoporosis Assessment Questionnaire or OPAQ, the first disease targeted quality of life instrument in osteoporosis; epidemiology of osteoporosis across racial and ethnic diversity; factors associated with primary and secondary nonadherence.
Current investigations include:
Prevalence of fibromyalgia in the U. S.; cost and disutility following osteoporotic fracture; interventions to improve both primary and secondary nonadherence in patients who have had improved primary and secondary nonadherence.
- Silverman SL, Madison RE: Decreased incidence of hip fracture in Hispanics, Asians, and blacks: California Hospital Discharge Data. Am J Public Health, 78(11): 1482-3, 1988
- Silverman SL: The clinical consequences of vertebral compression fracture. Bone, 13 Suppl 2: S27-31, 1992
- Silverman SL, Greenwald M, Klein RA, Drinkwater BL: Effect of bone density information on decisions about hormone replacement therapy: a randomized trial. Obstetrics and gynecology, 89(3): 321-5, 1997
- Melton 3rd, Thamer M, Ray NF, Chan JK, Chesnut 3rd, Einhorn TA, Johnston CC, Raisz LG, Silverman SL, Siris ES: Fractures attributable to osteoporosis: report from the National Osteoporosis Foundation. J. Bone Miner. Res., 12(1): 16-23, 1997
- Chesnut 3rd, Silverman S, Andriano K, Genant H, Gimona A, Harris S, Kiel D, LeBoff M, Maricic M, Miller P, Moniz C, Peacock M, Richardson P, Watts N, Baylink D: A randomized trial of nasal spray salmon calcitonin in postmenopausal women with established osteoporosis: the prevent recurrence of osteoporotic fractures study. PROOF Study Group. Am. J. Med., 109(4): 267-76, 2000
- Lindsay R, Silverman SL, Cooper C, Hanley DA, Barton I, Broy SB, Licata A, Benhamou L, Geusens P, Flowers K, Stracke H, Seeman E: Risk of new vertebral fracture in the year following a fracture. JAMA, 285(3): 320-3, 2001