Ueli Rutishauser, PhD
Director, Human Neurophysiology Research, Neurosurgery
|Assistant Professor, Neurosurgery|
Awards and Activities
|Ferguson Award (Caltech)||2008|
|American Epilepsy Society Young Investigator Award||2007|
|Sloan-Swartz foundation fellowship in theoretical neurobiology||2003|
|Reviewing Editor: Frontiers in Neuromorphic Engineering||Current|
|Co-editor of book: Human single-neuron recordings (MIT Press)||Current|
|Member, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)||2004|
|Member, Society of Neuroscience||2004|
|Member, American Epilepsy Society||2012|
Neural mechanisms of learning, memory, and decision making. Neural representation of novelty and familiarity in the human hippocampus, amygdala and basal ganglia. Mechanisms and propagation of epileptic seizures. Investigation of learning abnormalities in movement disorders. Techniques include single-neuron and local-field potential extracellular recordings in human epilepsy and movement disorder patients, behavioral methods such as eye tracking in patients and controls, as well as computational and theoretical approaches.
Identification of novelty-signaling neurons in the human hippocampus and amygdala of epilepsy patients that express single-trial learning. Identification of whole-face selective neurons in the human amygdala. Description of the relationship between theta-frequency phase locking of human hippocampal neurons during learning and later memory strength. Development of online spike sorting and analysis tools.
Current investigations include:
Recordings from intracranial electrodes in patients with epilepsy from hippocampus and amygdala. Intra-operative single-unit recordings. Behavioral studies of eye movements during learning. Computational and theoretical studies of canonical cortical microcircuits. Development of methods for spike-train analysis, spike sorting, and closed-loop control of visual stimuli.
- Rutishauser U, Ross IB, Mamelak AN, Schuman EM: Human memory strength is predicted by theta-frequency phase-locking of single neurons. Nature, 464(7290): 903-7, 2010
- Rutishauser U, Mamelak AN, Schuman EM: Single-trial learning of novel stimuli by individual neurons of the human hippocampus-amygdala complex. Neuron, 49(6): 805-13, 2006
- Rutishauser U, Douglas RJ, Slotine JJ: Collective Stability of Networks of Winner-Take-All Circuits. Neural Comput, , 2010
- Rutishauser U, Schuman EM, Mamelak AN: Activity of human hippocampal and amygdala neurons during retrieval of declarative memories. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 105(1): 329-34, 2007
- Rutishauser U, Tudusciuc O, Neumann D, Mamelak AN, Heller AC, Ross IB, Philpott L, Sutherling WW, Adolphs R: Single-unit responses selective for whole faces in the human amygdala. Curr. Biol., 21(19): 1654-60, 2011
- Rutishauser U, Schuman EM, Mamelak AN: Online detection and sorting of extracellularly recorded action potentials in human medial temporal lobe recordings, in vivo. J. Neurosci. Methods, 154(1-2): 204-24, 2006