Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Alfredo Trento, MD
Awards and Activities
|Estelle, Abe, and Marjorie Sanders Chair in Cardiac Surgery||2002|
|International Society for Heart Transplantation||1984|
|Fellow of the American College of Surgeons||1988|
|Western Association of Transplant Surgeons||1990|
|The Society of Thoracic Surgeons||1991|
|Western Thoracic Surgical Association||1994|
|International Society of Heart Failure||1995|
|American Association for Thoracic Surgery||1997|
Heart and heart-lung transplantation procedures. Graft atherosclerosis and ways to prevent it by creating an animal model of heart transplantation and using different immunosuppressant agents. Process of calcification and degeneration of valve bioprosthesis.
Introduced in the USA a new surgical technique for heart transplantation that now is widely used.
Current investigations include:
Aortic valve disease, surgical treatment of bicuspid aortic valve. This includes comparison of clinical outcomes following heart valve replacement using different and commercially-available valve prosthesis and evaluation of aortic valve repair. In addition, studying cellular pathways governing aortic valve degeneration and potential molecular targets for drug therapy. Also collaborates on many studies within Cardiothoracic Surgery, including investigations of adult heart stem and progenitor cells, and acquiring and maintaining human cardiac tissues for clinical and basic research.
- Goland S, Czer LS, Siegel RJ, Tabak S, Jordan S, Luthringer D, Mirocha J, Coleman B, Kass RM, Trento A: Intravenous immunoglobulin treatment for acute fulminant inflammatory cardiomyopathy: series of six patients and review of literature. The Canadian journal of cardiology, 24(7): 571-4, 2008
- Goland S, Trento A, Czer LS, Eshaghian S, Tolstrup K, Naqvi TZ, De Robertis MA, Mirocha J, Iida K, Siegel RJ: Thoracic aortic arteriosclerosis in patients with degenerative aortic stenosis with and without coexisting coronary artery disease. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 85(1): 113-9, 2008
- Goland S, Czer LS, Kass RM, Siegel RJ, Mirocha J, De Robertis MA, Lee J, Raissi S, Cheng W, Fontana G, Trento A: Use of cardiac allografts with mild and moderate left ventricular hypertrophy can be safely used in heart transplantation to expand the donor pool. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 51(12): 1214-20, 2008
- Goland S, Trento A, Iida K, Czer LS, De Robertis M, Naqvi TZ, Tolstrup K, Akima T, Luo H, Siegel RJ: Assessment of aortic stenosis by three-dimensional echocardiography: an accurate and novel approach. Heart, 93(7): 801-7, 2007
- Goland S, Czer LS, Kass RM, De Robertis MA, Mirocha J, Coleman B, Capelli C, Raissi S, Cheng W, Fontana G, Trento A: Pre-existing pulmonary hypertension in patients with end-stage heart failure: impact on clinical outcome and hemodynamic follow-up after orthotopic heart transplantation. J. Heart Lung Transplant., 26(4): 312-8, 2007
- Goland S, Czer LS, De Robertis MA, Mirocha J, Kass RM, Fontana GP, Chang W, Trento A: Risk factors associated with reoperation and mortality in 252 patients after aortic valve replacement for congenitally bicuspid aortic valve disease. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 83(3): 931-7, 2007