Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Barry R. Stripp, PhD
Director, Pulmonary Stem Cell Research, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
Research Scientist, Infectious & Immunological Diseases Research Center
Member, Women's Guild Lung Institute
|Regenerative Medicine Institute|
Lung stem/progenitor cell biology and defining mechanisms of normal tissue maintenance, repair and remodeling in disease. My laboratory is particularly interested in understanding epithelial defects that contribute to the development of fibrotic lung disease and identifying new therapeutic approaches to help patients afflicted with these lung disorders.
Leader in the field of lung epithelial stem cell biology.
Current investigations include:
Our basic research focuses on defining cellular and molecular mechanisms of normal tissue maintenance and repair following injury. We use genetically modified mouse models for lineage tracing and to manipulate cell signaling in the normal and repairing epithelium. We have established culture methods for growth of single cell-derived lung organoids from mouse and human lung to model disease and for drug discovery.
- Giangreco A, Arwert EN, Rosewell IR, Snyder J, Watt FM, Stripp BR: Stem cells are dispensable for lung homeostasis but restore airways after injury. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 106(23): 9286-91, 2009
- Snyder JC, Reynolds SD, Hollingsworth JW, Li Z, Kaminski N, Stripp BR: Clara cells attenuate the inflammatory response through regulation of macrophage behavior. Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol., 42(2): 161-71, 2009
- Hashimoto S, Chen H, Que J, Brockway BL, Drake JA, Snyder JC, Randell SH, Stripp BR: ß-Catenin-SOX2 signaling regulates the fate of developing airway epithelium. J. Cell. Sci., 125(Pt 4): 932-42, 2012
- Rackley CR, Stripp BR: Building and maintaining the epithelium of the lung. J. Clin. Invest., 122(8): 2724-30, 2012
- Chen H, Matsumoto K, Brockway BL, Rackley CR, Liang J, Lee JH, Jiang D, Noble PW, Randell SH, Kim CF, Stripp BR: Airway epithelial progenitors are region specific and show differential responses to bleomycin-induced lung injury. Stem Cells, 30(9): 1948-60, 2012
- Lee JH, Bhang DH, Beede A, Huang TL, Stripp BR, Bloch KD, Wagers AJ, Tseng YH, Ryeom S, Kim CF: Lung stem cell differentiation in mice directed by endothelial cells via a BMP4-NFATc1-thrombospondin-1 axis. Cell, 156(3): 440-55, 2014