Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Gil Melmed, MD, MS
Director, Clinical Trials, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center
Awards and Activities
|Section Editor: Inflammatory Bowel Disease||2009 - 2010|
|American Gastroenterology Association||2002|
|American College of Gastroenterology||2005|
|Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America||2007|
Clinical outcomes research in inflammatory bowel disease. Specifically, interested in vaccine-preventable illnesses, disease phenotype/classification, post-operative outcomes, disease activity assessment, and health-related quality of life.
Discovered that commonly prescribed immunosuppressive medications impair normal vaccine responses in inflammatory bowel disease. Described that the presenting disease phenotype may influence the natural history or postoperative outcomes of ulcerative colitis. Simplified disease activity and quality of life assessments for Crohn's disease.
Current investigations include:
Ongoing assessments of predictors of post-operative outcomes. Clinical studies to determine optimization of vaccine responses among immunosuppressed patients.
- Melmed GY, Agarwal N, Frenck RW, Ippoliti AF, Ibanez P, Papadakis KA, Simpson P, Barolet-Garcia C, Ward J, Targan SR, Vasiliauskas EA: Immunosuppression impairs response to pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Am. J. Gastroenterol., 105(1): 148-54, 2009
- Melmed GY, Targan SR: Future biologic targets for IBD: potentials and pitfalls. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 7(2): 110-7, 2010
- Melmed GY, Fleshner PR, Bardakcioglu O, Ippoliti A, Vasiliauskas EA, Papadakis KA, Dubinsky M, Landers C, Rotter JI, Targan SR: Family history and serology predict Crohn's disease after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis for ulcerative colitis. Dis. Colon Rectum, 51(1): 100-8, 2007
- Melmed GY, Elashoff R, Chen GC, Nastaskin I, Papadakis KA, Vasiliauskas EA, Liu W, Landers C, Ippoliti AF, Targan SR: Predicting a change in diagnosis from ulcerative colitis to Crohn's disease: a nested, case-control study. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol., 5(5): 602-8; quiz 525, 2007
- Melmed GY, Ippoliti AF, Papadakis KA, Tran TT, Birt JL, Lee SK, Frenck RW, Targan SR, Vasiliauskas EA: Patients with inflammatory bowel disease are at risk for vaccine-preventable illnesses. Am. J. Gastroenterol., 101(8): 1834-40, 2006
- Spiegel BM, Ho W, Esrailian E, Targan S, Higgins PD, Siegel CA, Dubinsky M, Melmed GY: Controversies in ulcerative colitis: a survey comparing decision making of experts versus community gastroenterologists. Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol., 7(2): 168-74, 174.e1, 2008