Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
GislÃ¢ine A. Martins, PhD
Research Scientist, Inflammatory Bowel & Immunobiology Research Institute
|Assistant Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|Keystone Symposia Early Career Investigator Travel Award||2014|
|New Faculty Travel Award-AAI||2013|
|Invitrogen Trainee Achievement Award American Association of Immunologists||2008|
|Welcome Trust Scholarship||2000|
|Young Investigator Award Braz Soc Biochem & Mol Biol||2000|
|Brazilian Society of Immunology||1996|
|Brazilian Society of Protozoology||1997|
|Regional Council of Biologists (Brazil)||1998|
|American Association of Immunologists||2006|
|Society for Mucosal Immunology||2009|
Molecular regulation of immune responses, with a major focus on transcriptional regulation of T lymphocyte terminal effector differentiation and its implication in inflammatory diseases.
Identified new pathways regulating effector T cell function, including the role of transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 in modulating several aspects of T cell responses.
Contributed to the identification of the transcriptional factor Eomesodermin in controlling CD8+ T cell function.
Made key contributions to the the understanding of the mechanisms regulating immune response to infection.
Current investigations include:
Currently using several genetically manipulated mice models, human immune cells, and cellular and molecular approaches to investigate the genetic pathways controlled by the transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 in T cells, as a model to identify new molecular networks responsible for the control of T cell responses in dynamic environments such as mucosal interfaces. Research in the Martins laboratory is funded by the NIH (NIAID and the Mucosal Immunology Research Study Team -MIST) and the F. Widjaja Family Foundation.
- Salehi S, Bankoti R, Benevides L, Willen J, Couse M, Silva JS, Dhall D, Meffre E, Targan S, Martins GA: B Lymphocyte-Induced Maturation Protein-1 Contributes to Intestinal Mucosa Homeostasis by Limiting the Number of IL-17-Producing CD4+ T Cells. J. Immunol., 189(12): 5682-93, 2012
- Pearce EL, Mullen AC, Martins GA, Krawczyk CM, Hutchins AS, Zediak VP, Banica M, DiCioccio CB, Gross DA, Mao CA, Shen H, Cereb N, Yang SY, Lindsten T, Rossant J, Hunter CA, Reiner SL: Control of effector CD8+ T cell function by the transcription factor Eomesodermin. Science, 302(5647): 1041-3, 2003
- Rutishauser RL, Martins GA, Kalachikov S, Chandele A, Parish IA, Meffre E, Jacob J, Calame K, Kaech SM: Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 promotes CD8(+) T cell terminal differentiation and represses the acquisition of central memory T cell properties. Immunity, 31(2): 296-308, 2009
- Martins GA, Cimmino L, Liao J, Magnusdottir E, Calame K: Blimp-1 directly represses Il2 and the Il2 activator Fos, attenuating T cell proliferation and survival. J. Exp. Med., 205(9): 1959-65, 2008
- Martins G, Calame K: Regulation and functions of Blimp-1 in T and B lymphocytes. Annu. Rev. Immunol., 26: 133-69, 2008
- Martins GA, Cimmino L, Shapiro-Shelef M, Szabolcs M, Herron A, Magnusdottir E, Calame K: Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 regulates T cell homeostasis and function. Nat. Immunol., 7(5): 457-65, 2006