Gislâine A. Martins, PhD
Research Scientist, Inflammatory Bowel & Immunobiology Research Institute
|Assistant Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|Invitrogen Trainee Achievement Award American Association of Immunologists||2008|
|Welcome Trust Scholarship||2000|
|Young Investigator Award Braz Soc Biochem & Mol Biol||2000|
|Brazilian Society of Immunology||1996|
|American Association of Immunologists||2006|
|Society for Mucosal Immunology||2009|
Molecular regulation of immune responses, with a major focus on transcriptional regulation of T lymphocyte terminal effector differentiation and its implication in inflammatory diseases.
Identified new pathways regulating effector T cell function, including the role of transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 in modulating several aspects of T cell responses.
Contributed to the identification of the transcriptional factor Eomesodermin in controlling CD8+ T cell function.
Made key contributions to the the understanding of the mechanisms regulating immune response to infection.
Current investigations include:
Currently using several genetically manipulated mice models, human immune cells, and cellular and molecular approaches to investigate the genetic pathways controlled by the transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 in T cells, as a model to identify new molecular networks responsible for the control of T cell responses in dynamic environments such as mucosal interfaces.
- Salehi S, Bankoti R, Benevides L, Willen J, Couse M, Silva JS, Dhall D, Meffre E, Targan S, Martins GA: B Lymphocyte-Induced Maturation Protein-1 Contributes to Intestinal Mucosa Homeostasis by Limiting the Number of IL-17-Producing CD4+ T Cells. J. Immunol., 189(12): 5682-93, 2012
- Rutishauser RL, Martins GA, Kalachikov S, Chandele A, Parish IA, Meffre E, Jacob J, Calame K, Kaech SM: Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 promotes CD8(+) T cell terminal differentiation and represses the acquisition of central memory T cell properties. Immunity, 31(2): 296-308, 2009
- Martins GA, Cimmino L, Liao J, Magnusdottir E, Calame K: Blimp-1 directly represses Il2 and the Il2 activator Fos, attenuating T cell proliferation and survival. J. Exp. Med., 205(9): 1959-65, 2008
- Martins G, Calame K: Regulation and functions of Blimp-1 in T and B lymphocytes. Annu. Rev. Immunol., 26: 133-69, 2008
- Martins GA, Cimmino L, Shapiro-Shelef M, Szabolcs M, Herron A, Magnusdottir E, Calame K: Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 regulates T cell homeostasis and function. Nat. Immunol., 7(5): 457-65, 2006
- Martins GA, Hutchins AS, Reiner SL: Transcriptional activators of helper T cell fate are required for establishment but not maintenance of signature cytokine expression. J. Immunol., 175(9): 5981-5, 2005