Helen Goodridge, PhD
Director, Postdoctoral Scientist Program, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Research Scientist, Regenerative Medicine Institute
|Regenerative Medicine Institute|
|Assistant Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
|Assistant Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|UCLA CTSI Recognition Award||2012|
|Promega Young Immunologist of the Year||2002|
Macrophages and dendritic cells (DC) are key players in innate immunity and inflammation. The lab is characterizing the mechanisms that regulate the production of these cells (myelopoiesis), the signals that instruct their responses to microbial components and other "danger signals", and the role of these cells in antimicrobial immunity, inflammatory disease, cancer and neurodegenerative disease.
Defined mechanisms of pattern recognition receptor-mediated detection of microbes by macrophages, dendritic cells and hematopoietic progenitors, and the influence that commensal and pathogenic microbes have on myeloid cell production (myelopoiesis) and function (inflammatory and anti-microbial responses).
Current investigations include:
Hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells: cell fate decisions during steady-state and emergency myelopoiesis. Exploiting the anti-tumor effects of beta-glucans. Using induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived macrophages to study neurodegenerative diseases. Using stem cells to treat aging-related diseases.
- Khosravi A, Yáñez A, Price JG, Chow A, Merad M, Goodridge HS, Mazmanian SK: Gut microbiota promote hematopoiesis to control bacterial infection. Cell host & microbe, 15(3): 374-81, 2014
- Goodridge HS: Induced pluripotent stem cell-derived myeloid phagocytes: disease modeling and therapeutic applications. Drug Discov. Today, 19(6): 774-80, 2014
- Yáñez A, Hassanzadeh-Kiabi N, Ng MY, Megías J, Subramanian A, Liu GY, Underhill DM, Gil ML, Goodridge HS: Detection of a TLR2 agonist by hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells impacts the function of the macrophages they produce. Eur. J. Immunol., 43(8): 2114-25, 2013
- Goodridge HS, Underhill DM, Touret N: Mechanisms of fc receptor and dectin-1 activation for phagocytosis. Traffic, 13(8): 1062-71, 2012
- Underhill DM, Goodridge HS: Information processing during phagocytosis. Nat. Rev. Immunol., 12(7): 492-502, 2012
- Goodridge HS, Reyes CN, Becker CA, Katsumoto TR, Ma J, Wolf AJ, Bose N, Chan AS, Magee AS, Danielson ME, Weiss A, Vasilakos JP, Underhill DM: Activation of the innate immune receptor Dectin-1 upon formation of a 'phagocytic synapse'. Nature, 472(7344): 471-5, 2011