Mehrnoosh Saghizadeh Ghiam, PhD
Research Scientist, Neurobiology Research
|Regenerative Medicine Institute|
|Assistant Professor, Surgery|
Awards and Activities
|ISOV award for best ARVO abstract.||2009|
|NEI ARVO Travel Award||2009|
|APSIH Academic Achievement Award.||2007|
|UCLA Dissertation Fellowship||2006 - 2007|
|RD 2006 Young Investigator Award ||2006|
|ISER 2006 Young Investigator Award||2006|
|NIH Training Grant||2000 - 2005|
Identification of specific molecular corneal defects associated with corneal pathological conditions such as diabetes. Employ a variety of molecular, functional tests and ex-vivo human organ-cultured corneas to understand the role of microRNAs in both the differentiated epithelial and stem cells of normal and diabetic corneas and their roles in driving peripheral activation of limbal stem cells in normal and diseased corneas.
Unraveling the role of microRNA in normal and diabetic corneal disease and developing novel gene therapy treatments for the diseased corneas.
Current investigations include:
To examine how miRNAs function in regulatory pathways involved in corneal epithelial self-renewal, differentiation and wound healing processes in normal and disease states. MicroRNA gene therapy effects on wound healing and marker distribution in normal and diabetic corneas. Collaborative studies on the use of specialized extracellular matrix and soluble factors to generate corneal epithelial cells from induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells for future transplantation purposes.
- Saghizadeh M, Kramerov AA, Yu FS, Castro MG, Ljubimov AV: Normalization of wound healing and diabetic markers in organ cultured human diabetic corneas by adenoviral delivery of c-Met gene. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 51(4): 1970-80, 2009
- Saghizadeh M, Kramerov AA, Yaghoobzadeh Y, Hu J, Ljubimova JY, Black KL, Castro MG, Ljubimov AV: Adenovirus-driven overexpression of proteinases in organ-cultured normal human corneas leads to diabetic-like changes. Brain Res. Bull., 81(2-3): 262-72, 2009
- Saghizadeh M, Akhmedov NB, Yamashita CK, Gribanova Y, Theendakara V, Mendoza E, Nelson SF, Ljubimov AV, Farber DB: ZBED4, a BED-type zinc-finger protein in the cones of the human retina. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 50(8): 3580-8, 2009
- Liu J, Saghizadeh M, Tuli SS, Kramerov AA, Lewin AS, Bloom DC, Hauswirth WW, Castro MG, Schultz GS, Ljubimov AV: Different tropism of adenoviruses and adeno-associated viruses to corneal cells: implications for corneal gene therapy. Mol. Vis., 14: 2087-96, 2008
- Kramerov AA, Saghizadeh M, Caballero S, Shaw LC, Li Calzi S, Bretner M, Montenarh M, Pinna LA, Grant MB, Ljubimov AV: Inhibition of protein kinase CK2 suppresses angiogenesis and hematopoietic stem cell recruitment to retinal neovascularization sites. Mol. Cell. Biochem., 316(1-2): 177-86, 2008
- Maguen E, Rabinowitz YS, Regev L, Saghizadeh M, Sasaki T, Ljubimov AV: Alterations of extracellular matrix components and proteinases in human corneal buttons with INTACS for post-laser in situ keratomileusis keratectasia and keratoconus. Cornea, 27(5): 565-73, 2008