Richard Riggs, MD
Chair, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
|Clinical Professor, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation|
|Clinical Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|Golden Apple Teaching Award||2007|
|Reviewer: PM&R Journal||Current|
|Sourthern California Stroke Association||2006|
Quantifiying medical necessity for IRF admission. I-Care study is to provide evidence to optimize post-stroke rehabilitation practice for those with mild to moderate upper limb impairments and reduce disability in the broadest sense.
Pilot study describing bromocriptine administration in minimally conscious patients which provided evidence for larger controlled studies. Developed a sensitive fall precaution screening criteria for inpatient rehabilitation patients.
Current investigations include:
I-CARE: The primary objective of ICARE (Interdisciplinary Comprehensive Arm Rehabilitation Evaluation) is to impove outpatient therapy of arm paresis after stroke.
- Riggs RV, Andrews K, Roberts P, Gilewski M: Visual deficit interventions in adult stroke and brain injury: a systematic review. American journal of physical medicine & rehabilitation / Association of Academic Physiatrists, 86(10): 853-60, 2007
- O'Dell MW, Levinson SF, Riggs RV: Focused review: physiatric management of HIV-related disability. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 77(3 Suppl): S66-73, 1996
- O'Dell MW, Meighen M, Riggs RV: Correlates of fatigue in HIV infection prior to AIDS: a pilot study. Disability and rehabilitation, 18(5): 249-54, 1996
- Roberts PS, Vegher JA, Gilewski M, Bender A, Riggs RV: Client-centered occupational therapy using constraint-induced therapy. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases : the official journal of National Stroke Association, 14(3): 115-21
- Passler MA, Riggs RV: Positive outcomes in traumatic brain injury-vegetative state: patients treated with bromocriptine. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 82(3): 311-5, 2001
- O'Dell MW, Riggs RV, Turner JL, Crawford A, Abrams C: Interrater reliability of the Karnofsky Performance Status in an HIV-infected sample. AIDS, 5(11): 1396-7, 1991