Extension of J-1 Status

All Exchange Visitor scholars should have "D/S" (Duration of Status) noted on their Form I-94 (arrival/departure card.) "D/S" means that your stay is valid for the duration of the J-1 status, which is the actual end date on the DS-2019 form, plus an additional thirty-day grace period. This thirty-day grace period is NOT intended for employment, extensions, or transfers.

To request an extension of your J-1 status, you must contact your sponsoring department to complete and submit the DS-2019 Application to the Visa & International Services Administration (VISA) office at least 30 days prior to the end date of your current status.

Please note that a new DS-2019 will be issued to reflect the new period of stay. That document legally extends your J-1 visit as long as you remain in the US. If you have a spouse or child(ren) in J-2 status, their stays will also be extended.  You do not need to visit a U.S. Consulate/Embassy to extend your status.

Should you travel outside the US during this new period of valid J-1 status (other than visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico and adjacent territories), you must have a valid J-1 visa in your passport. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will use the new DS-2019 to apply for a new J-1 visa in the passport at a US Embassy or Consulate outside the US.  Contact the Visa & International Services Administration office ( VISA) should you need assistance.

When you apply for a J-1 extension, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.

In extending your J-1 stay you must also extend your health insurance coverage. Failure to do so will result in the termination of your J-1 status.

To apply for extension of stay, please use  the J-1 Application Portfolio .

Android app on Google Play